Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

Total write off Insurance question

Old 18-Sep-2009, 11:05 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10
Total write off Insurance question

Hi everyone.

This is my story. my car was in a minor accident in a parking lot. It was the other driver fault. Insurance company is now giving me two offer. 1) 2350 and they are keeping the car. By the way the car is 1997 honda civic 4 door. or 1950 with me keep the car. I know that I can get it fix up with less than a 1000. Therefore I am trying to keep the car. But I have a few questions
1) Is there any stipulation that I have to show (reciept) to the insurance company that I actually fixed the car

2) If I want to get the car insure in the future do I have to do any safety inspection?

3) Any thing I need to be aware about salvage title. I am not trying to sell it, just want to keep driving to the ground.

Please help
nate9 is offline  
Old 19-Sep-2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 347
the entire "pay me but I won't actually fix the car" deal only works if you settle accidents privately.

I say take the car & use the cash to fix it. they won't actually GIVE you cash to fix it, they will pay the garage directly. In that sense, you can "work" something out with the garage (split the payment).
Hatorade is offline  
Old 19-Sep-2009, 12:08 PM
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 91
You can buy the car back is it's a write off from them, talk to them. when is a write off the car is not insured anymore.

If you want's the car back on the road again you gotta do everything just like any other car.

Insurance companies will write of some cars knowing clearly they can be fixed, but they just rather give you the cash, then a auto body shop will buy your car fix it and sale it. depending on the year of the car, damage and km's.
Hazesus is offline  
Old 19-Sep-2009, 07:09 PM
Senior Member
Cynikal.Mindset's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23,880
if you keep it and fix it you will have to safety it, e-test it etc etc to make it "fit" for the road again...take the 2350 and get a new car...or take the 1900 and fix your busted *** car and pay for all the inspections/test and hope its road worthy after...your call
Cynikal.Mindset is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 12:11 AM
JayWells's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 43
take the money and go buy a new car. That much money for a busted 1997 4-door civic is well worth it.
JayWells is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 02:34 AM
Senior Member
D.T.P's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 4,637
What was the condition of the car before hand? Stock? Mods? For what they are giving you, you can get another civic. Add some cash to that and you can buy something nicer.
D.T.P is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
Honda Civic (+ other) Parts/Accessories for Sale or Trade
01-Oct-2004 10:25 PM
CFz Discussion
16-Oct-2003 01:00 PM
06-Oct-2003 08:35 AM
CFz Discussion
12-Aug-2003 04:13 PM
Cruzzin SIR
Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance
09-May-2002 04:51 PM

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Total write off Insurance question

Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to and affiliated sites.