Motorcycles Prefer two wheels over four?

Bike insurance

Old 15-Dec-2007, 03:05 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
Bike insurance

Who has bike insurance?
From which company?
Did you ever get busted without insurance?
ForSale is offline  
Old 16-Dec-2007, 02:42 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
there are many companies with bike insurnace. For the cheapest go to statefarm. You will need to move your car over to them though for a really good rate on your bike insurance.

3 important factors to consider

- your age
- your record
- your bike

all three of these will play heavily into your insurnace rate. Riding without insurance is the same as driving without insurance. You can do it and get away with it, but god help you if you get into an accident.
fingolfin is offline  
Old 16-Dec-2007, 06:09 PM
  #3  
Member
 
the_girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 43
shop around ... and make sure you know what you legally have to carry vs what they're going to tell you you MUST have.

riding without insurance is just plain silly and that's all i'm going to say on that
the_girl is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 12:33 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
thanks i'll try statefarm, well if they charge me 12 grand for insurance per year and i can't pay it, its not going to stop me from riding.

but yea i know, what you guys mean.

im guessing that i may be covered around 600 per month, yuck that sucks.

in US we could buy bike insurance on montly basis, can i do that here in Canada, like if i wanted to ride july, aug, sep. just buy a slip for those months and pay for that?

thanks.
ForSale is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 10:32 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by ForSale View Post
thanks i'll try statefarm, well if they charge me 12 grand for insurance per year and i can't pay it, its not going to stop me from riding.

but yea i know, what you guys mean.

im guessing that i may be covered around 600 per month, yuck that sucks.

in US we could buy bike insurance on montly basis, can i do that here in Canada, like if i wanted to ride july, aug, sep. just buy a slip for those months and pay for that?

thanks.
no sorry, they only sell 6 and 12 onth policies but 95% on companies are ******** and will charge you 1000 for 6 months, and 1100 for 12 months. They pretty much make u by the full year.

Also, your primium is used up in the first 3 months, so if you decide to cancel it, you loose almost all your money.

ex: policy starting in march ($2400)
march : 300
april: 300
may: 500
june: 500
july: 500
aug: 100
sept: 100

etc etc
fingolfin is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 10:45 AM
  #6  
The Infamous Kracker
iTrader: (3)
 
k_r_a_c_k_e_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 28,418
Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
no sorry, they only sell 6 and 12 onth policies but 95% on companies are ******** and will charge you 1000 for 6 months, and 1100 for 12 months. They pretty much make u by the full year.

Also, your primium is used up in the first 3 months, so if you decide to cancel it, you loose almost all your money.

ex: policy starting in march ($2400)
march : 300
april: 300
may: 500
june: 500
july: 500
aug: 100
sept: 100

etc etc
nice.. I never new that.
k_r_a_c_k_e_r is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
A no insurance ticket is $5k.

How about when you crash into someone or slip and fall and end up 200ft away from your bike?
starboy869 is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 12:10 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by k_r_a_c_k_e_r View Post
nice.. I never new that.
yah.. the insurnace companies are getting smarter.. i guess lots of people used to do that...
fingolfin is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 09:37 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
no sorry, they only sell 6 and 12 onth policies but 95% on companies are ******** and will charge you 1000 for 6 months, and 1100 for 12 months. They pretty much make u by the full year.

Also, your primium is used up in the first 3 months, so if you decide to cancel it, you loose almost all your money.

ex: policy starting in march ($2400)
march : 300
april: 300
may: 500
june: 500
july: 500
aug: 100
sept: 100

etc etc
thanks, i never knew that,though i did know that it was cheaper to ride july,aug,sep. Thats pretty messed up lol $1000 6moths vs $1100 12months, its like buy half for $1000 get second half for only $100 more.lol

Just to clerify, so lets say i went with the 6month policy would that mean i pay $1000 for those months or the amount for that six months would depend on my record?

Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
A no insurance ticket is $5k.

How about when you crash into someone or slip and fall and end up 200ft away from your bike?
^^^ I'm not a novice rider, but if that did happen lets say as an accident due to someone elses carelessness, i know it would be a pain in the A-hole to get the insurance company to pay up or like i said before i'd be dead at such speeds, but if it was anything slow, its a scratch to me and the bike.

but yea i'm trying to get insurance for sure before i buy my next bike.
ForSale is offline  
Old 17-Dec-2007, 10:18 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
NO INSURANCE
Another one of Ontario's most serious offences.
"2. (1) Subject to the regulations, no owner or lessee of a motor vehicle shall,
(a) operate the motor vehicle; or
(b) cause or permit the motor vehicle to be operated,
on a highway unless the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance. 1994, c. 11, s. 383; 1996, c. 21, s. 50 (3).
"
First Offence = $5000 to $25000 fine.
Second Offence = $10000 to $50000 fine.





Now say you didn't have insurance and for some reason you briefly looked at some hot chick walking on the sidewalk and ended up rear ending someone in a BMW or someone crossing the street? Now sure the BMW driver will have insurance and there's free health care, but who's going to pay there lost wages, any extra & continuous medical expenses, and when they sue you for a million bucks for pain and suffering. I bet moving to Mexico would be looking pretty good to you.




However do what you want.
starboy869 is offline  
Old 18-Dec-2007, 11:15 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by ForSale View Post
^^^ I'm not a novice rider, but if that did happen lets say as an accident due to someone elses carelessness, i know it would be a pain in the A-hole to get the insurance company to pay up or like i said before i'd be dead at such speeds, but if it was anything slow, its a scratch to me and the bike.

but yea i'm trying to get insurance for sure before i buy my next bike.
you're not a novice rider? explain please, because if you're asking about insurance, that would mean you havn't had it before.

If you get into an accident, you better hope you can run away and have a tinted visor (assuming you can even walk after the accident). Your best bet is to leave your bike behind and just run away.
fingolfin is offline  
Old 18-Dec-2007, 10:56 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
NO INSURANCE
Another one of Ontario's most serious offences.
"2. (1) Subject to the regulations, no owner or lessee of a motor vehicle shall,
(a) operate the motor vehicle; or
(b) cause or permit the motor vehicle to be operated,
on a highway unless the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance. 1994, c. 11, s. 383; 1996, c. 21, s. 50 (3)."
First Offence = $5000 to $25000 fine.
Second Offence = $10000 to $50000 fine.





Now say you didn't have insurance and for some reason you briefly looked at some hot chick walking on the sidewalk and ended up rear ending someone in a BMW or someone crossing the street? Now sure the BMW driver will have insurance and there's free health care, but who's going to pay there lost wages, any extra & continuous medical expenses, and when they sue you for a million bucks for pain and suffering. I bet moving to Mexico would be looking pretty good to you.




However do what you want.

I never said i wasn't going to get insurance, if i wasn't i'd never have posted up here and try to find out about it.

i don't know about you but when i drive i drive, i wouldn't be looking on the side walks looking for a hooker, and therefore get into an accident.

Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
you're not a novice rider? explain please, because if you're asking about insurance, that would mean you havn't had it before.


If you get into an accident, you better hope you can run away and have a tinted visor (assuming you can even walk after the accident). Your best bet is to leave your bike behind and just run away.
lol, what does having insurance have to do anything with the person riding the vehicle. I mean there are about 40% of the total vehicles out there driving everyday without insurance. My point is not that its kool to do that, but more so that there is a limit for everything, and the canadian government dosen't have one, because people bitch and complain behind closed doors, and not like the americans, who will destroy the government if they find out their government is doing them wrong.

theres a planet with more than just Canada, i have a respol, and busa in europe, my last bike was a R1, might have seen also a white gixxer at dark nights, with chrome handle bars, wheels, and polished frame.

well insurance isn't a big deal elsewhere except canada, and my previous bikes were all insured from US, registered to my cousins residence or mailing address. But since they moved farther south US, i haven't really felt the need to waist time and go through registering the next bike there and all, too much work.

so i was looking to find some cheap bike insurers here.

and if you guys think that bike insurance is necessary, yea, for drivers not the rider, 90% bikes that crash have fatal injuries or death, so if you guys think bike insurance is in place for the rider, you're mistaken. I don't know about you guys but i never hear a rider on a street bike ever make it, im talking about the ones who crash into other vehicles, hense, the real reason for insurance.

anyways why am i arguing, i'm getting insurance either from here or if its too expensive the states.

anyways i don't care, i got a ticket before for not having insurance it was 65 dollars, it was thrown out the window at the court.

all i had to do was get a copy of the car with its name on the pink slip. so i told my bank to send me a copy of my policy which has all the cars on it, and thats all.

the $5000 plus, is only if you crash and that too, only into another vehicle and you get busted, if im correct most bike riders go out after 11pm when its clear on the road with almost no traffic. i used to got 1am and come back 3am, summer time.

Last edited by ForSale; 18-Dec-2007 at 11:03 PM.
ForSale is offline  
Old 19-Dec-2007, 12:58 AM
  #13  
Member
 
bango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
insurance

all i can tell u ur choice to get or not get insurance ride at ur own risk good luck
bango is offline  
Old 19-Dec-2007, 10:35 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
sorry friend, not sure where you're getting your info from, but you're wrong on a lot of cases.

a) 40% of people don't have insurnace? I would love to see a reference for that comment, keeping in mind this is canada
b) american's won't do anything unless their government tells them what to do
c) It doesn't matter you rode a gixer 1K or busa. you could ride an SR50 and it won't matter. The bike doesn't make a rider a rider.
d) $65 for no insurnace, im assuming you're talking about America, which we don't live in. This is Canada, so what happens in America doesn't matter
e) the fine has nothing to do with getting into an accident. If you get randomly pulled over you will be given a summons to court, the judge will decide what to do with you. $5000 is the minimum.
f) most riders don't go out at 11 pm and return at 3 am, why because thats when cops are around looking for a reason to pull people over. Also if you want to ride, your best bet is to head out of the city. Who wants to ride at night when you can ride during the day?


Getting insurance is your personal choice. If you don't get it, thats up to you. just realise the consequences. In canada its a serious crime, maybe not in america, but in canada it is.

insurance covers more than accidents, it covers theft, damage etc etc


bango summed it up well.
fingolfin is offline  
Old 19-Dec-2007, 11:25 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
You can get the min. legal amount to be insured on the road.

$200,000 min liability

http://www.auto-insurance-knowledge....insurance.html

However if your alive after the crash and someone sues you for $1million and wins. You'll have to come up with the other $800K out of pocket. The price difference from $200k liability to $1mil or $2mil is very min.

Getting Fire & theft isn't that much a month either. Good to have if you have something nice. However if you have an old 85 Honda Interceptor that you paid $500 for I wouldn't bother.

Now collision is the killer amount. I know back in high school days this option doubled my insurance. Hell I would've paid for the vehicle again in 6 months at that rate. Once again that $2000 Honda might not be worth it to get this option.

This is a direct cut and paste from the HTA

NO INSURANCE
Another one of Ontario's most serious offences.
"2. (1) Subject to the regulations, no owner or lessee of a motor vehicle shall,
(a) operate the motor vehicle; or
(b) cause or permit the motor vehicle to be operated,
on a highway unless the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance. 1994, c. 11, s. 383; 1996, c. 21, s. 50 (3)."
First Offence = $5000 to $25000 fine.
Second Offence = $10000 to $50000 fine.


It's a for sure you'll get $5k ticket, your vehicle impounded, plates pulled, right on the spot. I know not some bright people that got busted with no insurance offense.

Ontario went with $5k min. due to the fact it was cheaper just to get the $100 ticket and pay it instead of getting insurance. BTW Check and see your insurance rates after you've been busted with a no insurance ticket. If you can't afford the $1k now, then there would be no chance in hell you could afford the *** raping afterwards.
starboy869 is offline  
Old 19-Dec-2007, 06:40 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by bango View Post
all i can tell u ur choice to get or not get insurance ride at ur own risk good luck
Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
sorry friend, not sure where you're getting your info from, but you're wrong on a lot of cases.

a) 40% of people don't have insurnace? I would love to see a reference for that comment, keeping in mind this is canada
b) american's won't do anything unless their government tells them what to do
c) It doesn't matter you rode a gixer 1K or busa. you could ride an SR50 and it won't matter. The bike doesn't make a rider a rider.
d) $65 for no insurnace, im assuming you're talking about America, which we don't live in. This is Canada, so what happens in America doesn't matter
e) the fine has nothing to do with getting into an accident. If you get randomly pulled over you will be given a summons to court, the judge will decide what to do with you. $5000 is the minimum.
f) most riders don't go out at 11 pm and return at 3 am, why because thats when cops are around looking for a reason to pull people over. Also if you want to ride, your best bet is to head out of the city. Who wants to ride at night when you can ride during the day?


Getting insurance is your personal choice. If you don't get it, thats up to you. just realise the consequences. In canada its a serious crime, maybe not in america, but in canada it is.

insurance covers more than accidents, it covers theft, damage etc etc


bango summed it up well.
answer

a) I got that from channel 24, you would too if you watched the news and most importantly police shows to find out their ways to catch people and stay safe from them busting you.

b) you obviously have never been to
America, what you described is Canada my friend, the do good follow rules people.

c) I have no doubt I’m a good rider/driver, its something I’m born with, and no one can take away.

d) lol, it was in
Canada, if you want I can post up the ticket here and the result, but the $65 on the ticket should prove it, extra note, it was also undercover cops that pulled me over. Brampton hwy 10. You have to know how to talk to them without being rude

e) your just like every other person out there, scared of cops, do what they tell, you. You have to let them know you are not stupid if you know you are wrong you have to think fast. I told them I did have insurance and kept a policy number written in pen with the ownership and all. the cop said what I am going to do with that, I told him well it’s a policy number, im showing you so, when I see you in court you don't lie.

reason why he pulled me over was because I rolled on a stop sign and he asked me that too, so I told him, why I would stop at a stop sign that doesn’t say "all the way" and on a road with no car in sight in both directions. he says that’s the law, I told him, no its not if it was it would have said stop” all the way" but obviously its a wide open road that doesn’t require such action, hence the stop sign, which is there for a caution not mandatory stop.

guess what happened he came back with an insurance $65 ticket and a $110 improper muffler, the real reason they stopped me, and used the role stop sign as an excuse.

outcome at court, both tickets withdrawn no demerit points, and the insurance ticket was not even looked at. lol

so unless you get into a massive accident you won't get the big insurance ticket slap.

f) just when you said what you said in F) I can tell you are the guys who just cruise on bikes, i.e. not hardcore bike riders, like the stunt guys, anyways that’s a good thing it’s actually a safe practice. But like you said the bike doesn’t make the rider, similarly having insurance doesn’t determine your skill for an accident or not. That’s just voicing my opinion about insurance companies, doesn’t mean I have no insurance, I probably pay more in insurance then you guys, our insurance bill monthly are $1,500 not including the bike, as I sold it last year. So yea we do complain about insurance, and we mostly have good clean records, except I have one speeding ticket.


insurance covers, theft, damage and what else, how? when your bike is stolen how does your insurance get that same bike back that you kept mint, how does insurance cover the damage when you still have to pay a deductible? They say we waist so much money in a year smoking, how about insurance. lol

anyways lets get back on topic, and I already saw a State farm office close to my house will go there for a quote soon.




Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
You can get the min. legal amount to be insured on the road.

$200,000 min liability

http://www.auto-insurance-knowledge....insurance.html

However if your alive after the crash and someone sues you for $1million and wins. You'll have to come up with the other $800K out of pocket. The price difference from $200k liability to $1mil or $2mil is very min.

Getting Fire & theft isn't that much a month either. Good to have if you have something nice. However if you have an old 85 Honda Interceptor that you paid $500 for I wouldn't bother.

Now collision is the killer amount. I know back in high school days this option doubled my insurance. Hell I would've paid for the vehicle again in 6 months at that rate. Once again that $2000 Honda might not be worth it to get this option.

This is a direct cut and paste from the HTA

NO INSURANCE
Another one of Ontario's most serious offences.
"2. (1) Subject to the regulations, no owner or lessee of a motor vehicle shall,
(a) operate the motor vehicle; or
(b) cause or permit the motor vehicle to be operated,
on a highway unless the motor vehicle is insured under a contract of automobile insurance. 1994, c. 11, s. 383; 1996, c. 21, s. 50 (3)."
First Offence = $5000 to $25000 fine.
Second Offence = $10000 to $50000 fine.


It's a for sure you'll get $5k ticket, your vehicle impounded, plates pulled, right on the spot. I know not some bright people that got busted with no insurance offense.

Ontario went with $5k min. due to the fact it was cheaper just to get the $100 ticket and pay it instead of getting insurance. BTW Check and see your insurance rates after you've been busted with a no insurance ticket. If you can't afford the $1k now, then there would be no chance in hell you could afford the *** raping afterwards.

well like i said above i never got the insurance thing you guys seem to be talking about, but if you guys didn't get off topic, and me having to explain your questions afterwards we would be on track, look at my last on topic question before you guys started crying about insurance and all.

1.What is the cost system here on bikes is it a fixed rate or a rate that is determinded by your record, age, and all, like they do on cars?

because someone said $1,000 for 6months if thats the case, i'll be laughing, and buy a brand new bike, i though before that id be paying $660 per month, i.e ABOUT $5,000 for that six month, so thats what im trying to figure out.

i'll be 23 btw, just so you guys can give me an idea of how much im looking at, if its $1,000 i don't mind at all, if its more please let me know and why it would be more thanks.

Last edited by ForSale; 19-Dec-2007 at 06:55 PM.
ForSale is offline  
Old 20-Dec-2007, 12:51 AM
  #17  
Member
 
bango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 40
insurance

why is this thread still going on there is no good things that can come out this u want our opinion we gave u an answers now its all up to u want to obtain an insurance for ur bike or not i suggest u shop around for best insurance qoute www.google it for bike insurance or agent around GTA area all i can tell u with u being a younger person be prepare to pay more than $1000 good luck to u MERRY XMAX & HAPPY NEW YEAR
bango is offline  
Old 20-Dec-2007, 01:19 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
All this talk about a bike is making want to get an old Yamaha RZ350 2 stroke. My buddy back in HS had one and it walked all over ninja 600.
starboy869 is offline  
Old 20-Dec-2007, 10:16 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
you wern't given a ticket for no insurance...

you were given a ticket for failure to provide insurance... theres a difference. Post it up if you want...
there is no such thing as a ticket for no insurance. you get a summons to court when the judge decides what happens to you. The minimum is $5000.

If you think I ride a cruiser you don't know me at all. I ride a R6 on the track and Gixxer 1k on the street.

I don't know how old you are, but i can guess by the way you talk, you're probably around 20.

"I have no doubt Iím a good rider/driver, its something Iím born with, and no one can take away." If you truly are, I will happily see you at mosport and shannonville this year, i ride a blue R6 #56, come say hi.
"i have a respol, and busa in europe, my last bike was a R1" I don't know what you want me to do with that... congrats I guess

I was a stunter as well 2 years ago. Here's a picture of my old bike.





If you ask for advice take it. I've been booked for no insurance when I was a punk kid on my bike.


Do yourself and your family a favour. Leave your attitude behind when you hop onto a bike. I'm gonna leave you to think about this.
fingolfin is offline  
Old 21-Dec-2007, 12:05 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 858
Originally Posted by bango View Post
why is this thread still going on there is no good things that can come out this u want our opinion we gave u an answers now its all up to u want to obtain an insurance for ur bike or not i suggest u shop around for best insurance qoute www.google it for bike insurance or agent around GTA area all i can tell u with u being a younger person be prepare to pay more than $1000 good luck to u MERRY XMAX & HAPPY NEW YEAR
Thanks so much, finally the answer i was looking for, so this definately means that the 6 month quote would depend on my history.

thanks, and Marry-x mas to you too.

Originally Posted by fingolfin View Post
you wern't given a ticket for no insurance...

you were given a ticket for failure to provide insurance... theres a difference. Post it up if you want...
there is no such thing as a ticket for no insurance. you get a summons to court when the judge decides what happens to you. The minimum is $5000.

If you think I ride a cruiser you don't know me at all. I ride a R6 on the track and Gixxer 1k on the street.

I don't know how old you are, but i can guess by the way you talk, you're probably around 20.

"I have no doubt I’m a good rider/driver, its something I’m born with, and no one can take away." If you truly are, I will happily see you at mosport and shannonville this year, i ride a blue R6 #56, come say hi.
"i have a respol, and busa in europe, my last bike was a R1" I don't know what you want me to do with that... congrats I guess

I was a stunter as well 2 years ago. Here's a picture of my old bike.





If you ask for advice take it. I've been booked for no insurance when I was a punk kid on my bike.


Do yourself and your family a favour. Leave your attitude behind when you hop onto a bike. I'm gonna leave you to think about this.

ahhh i see, so how would they know if to give ticket for failing to show insurance or a summons?

i don't know why everyone thinks im trying not get insurance,lol i was only defending that insurance is overated.

nice bike, lol yup thats definately a modded stunt bike. Yes, i'll definately come say hi, if i get decent insurance so i can afford both car and bike, if not, i'll still come by in my track car.lol

btw when i was mentioning my bikes, i mentioned them because so you would get an idea that no novice rider can ride such bikes as a bigginer, i started from 50cc,70cc,120cc,600cc, then litre bikes.

as you can tell im really against insurance companies because they charge so much.

one thing i always think is how do they determine the cost for each driver, because when i call RBC its some student working there who looks at my history and some how gives me a quote, so knowing that, doesn't that mean they use an automated system, basically a damm computer telling the person how much i should pay, isn't that wrong, i mean what does a computer know.

i was hoping to get a figure, but anyways i'll be checking out statefarm sometime after new years really busy nowadays.

anyways good luck to you all and thanks for your patients.

ps: yes im still young, you guys seem older, bare with me, i'll get there.lol
yes, i can be cocky about my skills,lol but thats just how it sounds online, the expressions and emotions are missing, so in person what i said before would have sounded more on the lines of sarcasm.

anyways,

happy new year and marry=x mas to you all, have a great year end.

Last edited by ForSale; 21-Dec-2007 at 12:13 AM.
ForSale is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bike insurance


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.