Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

Wrong date on speeding ticket...grounds for dismissal?

Old 28-Jul-2008, 01:47 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1
Wrong date on speeding ticket...grounds for dismissal?

Hi everyone,

I got a speeding ticket early morning July 2nd, but the officer incorrectly wrote down my birth date as the date of the offence. This year, I was in Las Vegas for my birthday, so I have tons of proof (boarding pass, flight confirmation, etc.) that I was not in Ontario for the date listed.

Is this grounds to have the ticket thrown out? I wanted to know before I approach the crown attorney at the courthouse.

To be clear, he wrote down my birth date (June 3) with the current year as the offence date.
chughnyc is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2008, 01:57 PM
  #2  
Member
 
4thgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: belleville ontario
Posts: 45
you should be able to get that droped.
4thgen is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2008, 03:18 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by 4thgen View Post
you should be able to get that droped.
Yep. Make a date to be in court.
Double B is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2008, 04:48 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
xray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 3,978
Fo sho.
xray is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 09:17 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
zyepher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mother land
Posts: 1,015
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Yep. Make a date to be in court.
How?

If the officer made a incorrect date then he can just go back into his notes to retrieve the correct date/time.

It's not like the guy wasn't pulled over at all, he was because the officer had his information just incorrect date.
zyepher is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 09:28 AM
  #6  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Originally Posted by zyepher View Post
How?

If the officer made a incorrect date then he can just go back into his notes to retrieve the correct date/time.

It's not like the guy wasn't pulled over at all, he was because the officer had his information just incorrect date.
Agreed.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 09:37 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
viper_2_4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 903
fight it anyways, what do you have to lose...besides time
viper_2_4 is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 09:38 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 2,306
When an officer makes up a ticket, all the info has to be correct. If he writes down his birthdate wrong or his licence number wrong, it can get thrown out of court.
Double B is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 12:59 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 667
^ no you cant... They got the colour of my friends car wrong and he tried to get it dismissed because of that.... didn't work he ended up pleading guilty to disobeying a sign because it was less points.
The judge basically said that stuff doesnt matter... the fact is you were speeding
kingjames1983 is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 01:02 PM
  #10  
Banned
 
integra_Anthony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 247
Drop dat shietttt.
integra_Anthony is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 01:13 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by kingjames1983 View Post
^ no you cant... They got the colour of my friends car wrong and he tried to get it dismissed because of that.... didn't work he ended up pleading guilty to disobeying a sign because it was less points.
The judge basically said that stuff doesnt matter... the fact is you were speeding
I will check with my sister today and see what she says about this.
Double B is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 01:14 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Redeyelove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 631
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I will check with my sister today and see what she says about this.
Unfortunately like many other aspects of the law, this issue is a matter of perception and opinion. 1 judge may toss it, while most won't. An Urban Myth if you will.
Redeyelove is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 01:16 PM
  #13  
Member
 
4thgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: belleville ontario
Posts: 45
i had a 20 over speeding and he spelt my name wrong and i went to court and they dimissed the ticket because the cop didnt fill out the information correctly. than he pulled me over 2 days later and gave me a no fronbt plate and wrote my name down in capitals and really dark so he knew he got it right
4thgen is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 03:47 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
zyepher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: mother land
Posts: 1,015
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
When an officer makes up a ticket, all the info has to be correct. If he writes down his birthdate wrong or his licence number wrong, it can get thrown out of court.
your admin you shoule be giving out only good info.

I can understand MAYBE for a name or something but for a date of infraction?

It's not like he did NOT get pulled over.

If I was the judge and someone tried to pull this saying "oh i wasn't there" **** I would roast there *** for the full fine + $
zyepher is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 04:30 PM
  #15  
MrX
Senior Member
 
MrX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Thornhill
Posts: 358
Originally Posted by 4thgen View Post
i had a 20 over speeding and he spelt my name wrong and i went to court and they dimissed the ticket because the cop didnt fill out the information correctly. than he pulled me over 2 days later and gave me a no fronbt plate and wrote my name down in capitals and really dark so he knew he got it right
Lol!
MrX is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 05:01 PM
  #16  
The Infamous Kracker
iTrader: (3)
 
k_r_a_c_k_e_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 28,418
Originally Posted by 4thgen View Post
i had a 20 over speeding and he spelt my name wrong and i went to court and they dimissed the ticket because the cop didnt fill out the information correctly. than he pulled me over 2 days later and gave me a no fronbt plate and wrote my name down in capitals and really dark so he knew he got it right
OWNED.. lol
k_r_a_c_k_e_r is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 05:12 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by zyepher View Post
your admin you shoule be giving out only good info.

I can understand MAYBE for a name or something but for a date of infraction?

It's not like he did NOT get pulled over.

If I was the judge and someone tried to pull this saying "oh i wasn't there" **** I would roast there *** for the full fine + $

What does me being an admin have to do with it? Did I say I was an admin of the court expert? No. People get things wrong and so far, no one has proven fact this is not the case. As far as my sister's response to me was (and she is a lawyer) my stated fact is true. Under certain circumstances it CAN be left to the judges discrestion.
Double B is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 06:58 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Junior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: North York
Posts: 33
oh snap!
Junior is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 07:53 PM
  #19  
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 580
totally amendable... but good luck and dont think for a second that the crown attorney will help you he/she is the one trying to stick you with the ticket.
Midori is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2008, 08:00 PM
  #20  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 9
I had recently went to court as the date of the offence was wrong on the ticket... I then went to find out from some different lawyers (mostly traffic lawyers) about this and what they pretty much all told me was... the officer would have it in his notes about pulling you over and if not the judge would jsut make you give him the right date and in doing so then you just admitted the offence...

hope that helps...
goldfingers69 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrong date on speeding ticket...grounds for dismissal?


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.