Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

ticket for tinting

Old 25-Nov-2009, 07:15 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
ticket for tinting

So i got pulled over today by a ***** cop... I was just comming off work and he was just finishing given a ticket to a lady..

He pulls me over and says my tinting is too dark ... I tell him that i havent noticed it and that i had the car for 4 years and never had an issue with the tinting.. He takes my license comes back and gives me a ticket for 110 $....

No warning or anything ...

Regardless after he gave me the ticket i was pissed so i told him , see you in court...

I had a few co workers looked at my car and they dont think my tints are too dark ... Maybe someone can advice here..

Name:  SDC10308.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  108.4 KB

Name:  SDC10315.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  159.7 KB


This is a mirror tinting and in some angles it can be tricky to see the person inside ... I m still taking it to court though Name:  SDC10102.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  137.5 KB
rick10 is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 07:20 PM
  #2  
The Infamous Kracker
iTrader: (3)
 
k_r_a_c_k_e_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 28,418
Damn.. thats not dark at all..
k_r_a_c_k_e_r is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 07:49 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Sumol15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 923
as long as your fronts aren't lower than 35 I believe, you're good. You can go as dark as you want in the back. Imo, you're safe, my car is a lot darker than that, plus my car i is black which amplifies the tint.
Sumol15 is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 08:01 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
MyVtecGoesBWAH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Durham
Posts: 1,033
thats not dark at all.
MyVtecGoesBWAH is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 08:11 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
thats what i thought... I never had any issues and i seen far worst... However when the weather is like today it makes them look darker..

I m fighting it...

Thing is this cop tends to be close to where i work .. Is there a chance he pulls me over again for the samething??? He is a ***** , he doesnt even want an explanation ...

He knows i m going to court but is he allow to give me another ticket even if i m waiting for my court date????
rick10 is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 08:25 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
He knows i m going to court but is he allow to give me another ticket even if i m waiting for my court date????
If you get nailed for a burned-out headlight but continue to drive with a burned-out headlight while waiting for your court date, do you think you'll be immune to more tickets for that burned-out headlight?

Your tint ticket is no different.

Your tint doesn't seem to be that dark, but there is no magic tint % number that defines legal vs illegal. It all comes down to the cop and whether or not he could clearly see inside the car through the tint.
FiveO is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 09:15 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
If you get nailed for a burned-out headlight but continue to drive with a burned-out headlight while waiting for your court date, do you think you'll be immune to more tickets for that burned-out headlight?

Your tint ticket is no different.

Your tint doesn't seem to be that dark, but there is no magic tint % number that defines legal vs illegal. It all comes down to the cop and whether or not he could clearly see inside the car through the tint.

thats not a fair comparison... If i get nail for a burn bulb then i can just change it for 30 $ furthermore if i get nail for a burn bulb then i m at fault

This is different , if i think my tints are legal and i can prove it to the judge then i shouldnt change my tints. Furtherore i have driven the car for 4 years and never had a problem with the tints.. Its arbitrary for a ***** cop to pull me over , not give me a warning ( even though he can check i ve never got a ticket or warning at all in my record) and then have to change my tints because he doesnt it like it ...

I dont find it fair that i have to go change all my tints ( prob around 300$) just because 1 cop doesnt like them ...

I may however removed the front tints (driver and passenger side )...Which hopefully doesn cost me much
rick10 is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 10:11 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 133
Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
thats not a fair comparison... If i get nail for a burn bulb then i can just change it for 30 $ furthermore if i get nail for a burn bulb then i m at fault

This is different , if i think my tints are legal and i can prove it to the judge then i shouldnt change my tints. Furtherore i have driven the car for 4 years and never had a problem with the tints.. Its arbitrary for a ***** cop to pull me over , not give me a warning ( even though he can check i ve never got a ticket or warning at all in my record) and then have to change my tints because he doesnt it like it ...

I dont find it fair that i have to go change all my tints ( prob around 300$) just because 1 cop doesnt like them ...

I may however removed the front tints (driver and passenger side )...Which hopefully doesn cost me much

Take it to court. The cop isn't even going to show up. It will get tossed 100 percent. I had 15 percent on my front windows and a got a warning.
raman is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 10:42 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
subsonic-civic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 571
End of the month, needs to get his quota?
Unless u had ur front tinted, which is illegal regardless of light transmission, tints are subjective. I wouldn't pay $100 to get that removed, id keep it. My car is 35% all round and looks way darker than that. Cop was just being a dick.
subsonic-civic is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2009, 11:58 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
thats not a fair comparison... If i get nail for a burn bulb then i can just change it for 30 $ furthermore if i get nail for a burn bulb then i m at fault
It's a completely fair comparison. We're talking about continuing to operate a vehicle after failing to rectify an issue for which you have received an equipment violation. Headlight, muffler, or tint, it makes no difference. The cost to rectify that issue also makes no difference, and you thinking that you're legal is completely irrelevant given that you don't get to determine if a cop will issue you a ticket or not.


Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
This is different , if i think my tints are legal and i can prove it to the judge then i shouldnt change my tints.
The counter argument is that you can either continue to operate your vehicle as-is at your own risk of getting more tickets, or park it until your case is heard. It all depends on your own personal degree of risk tolerance and paranoia.


Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
Furtherore i have driven the car for 4 years and never had a problem with the tints.. Its arbitrary for a ***** cop to pull me over , not give me a warning ( even though he can check i ve never got a ticket or warning at all in my record) and then have to change my tints because he doesnt it like it ...
What's this expectation that cops should give people warnings for equipment issues? Everyone knows that people usually just blow off warnings secure in the belief that that particular cop will likely not ever notice them again, or even if the cop does, that the cop won't recall the warning given previously and just issue a brand new warning.

I've driven one of my cars car without a front license plate for several years and never got a ticket for it. If I get a ticket next spring when I take it out of storage again, should I complain about fairness if the cop doesn't first give me a warning or check to see if I have been given one?


Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
I dont find it fair that i have to go change all my tints ( prob around 300$) just because 1 cop doesnt like them ...

I may however removed the front tints (driver and passenger side )...Which hopefully doesn cost me much
$300 to remove the tints on only the two front seat side windows? If it's just tint film, why can't you do that yourself?

Better yet, go to a wrecker, get two used front windows and replace your tinted windows with the wrecker windows. That lets you drive around without fear of more tickets now, and if the JP eventually rules in your favour you can always reinstall the tinted glass later.

Last edited by FiveO; 26-Nov-2009 at 12:24 AM.
FiveO is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 12:05 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Polkaroo Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fortress of Superheroes
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by rick10 View Post






This is a mirror tinting and in some angles it can be tricky to see the person inside ... I m still taking it to court though
^^Are you kidding me, the cop pulled you over for tinted windows....hahahaha....he must have been on some cheap crack that made everyones car windows look tinted really dark.

My tints are dark as hell, you can't see **** through my car windows unless you come right up to them.

I would wipe your *** with the ticket and throw it back at the cop. What a waste of YOUR time and money and energy to go to court to get this retarded ticket straightened out.
Polkaroo Killa is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 12:22 AM
  #12  
Member
 
JayWells's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 43
You shouldn't of said "see you in court", as he is going to have to be there now. But that's a legit fight. My old car's tint was so dark that even if you took a flashlight to it, you wouldn't see anything. And I never had a problem when it came to my tints. Take it to court, and win! Next time you see him just rub it all in his face.
JayWells is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 12:35 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by JayWells View Post
Next time you see him just rub it all in his face.
Bad move. A motivated cop can usually find all sorts of ways to issue you "letter of the law" tickets for "attitude". You don't want to get on the bad side of a local cop. You want to either be on good terms, or failing that to be as forgettable and unnoticeable as possible.

Which brings us back to the tint ticket. His tint could be seen as being marginal in low light conditions, but it doesn't seem that bad in the daylight photos

So why did the cop choose to stop him? What else happened for him to receive a marginal ticket like that? Did he fail the attitude test?
FiveO is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 07:42 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Bad move. A motivated cop can usually find all sorts of ways to issue you "letter of the law" tickets for "attitude". You don't want to get on the bad side of a local cop. You want to either be on good terms, or failing that to be as forgettable and unnoticeable as possible.

Which brings us back to the tint ticket. His tint could be seen as being marginal in low light conditions, but it doesn't seem that bad in the daylight photos

So why did the cop choose to stop him? What else happened for him to receive a marginal ticket like that? Did he fail the attitude test?

thats the problem with cops , they think they are above the law and the are almighty god...

I have a problem with you saying a motivated cop thats pretty much saying a cop abusing his power can do anything he wants...

I didnt say i see you in court , i actually said i m taking this to court because i never had a problem in 4 years...

The only thing you are right about is the under certain light conditions my tinting could look darker , i agree on that ...
rick10 is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 08:38 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
write something with a black marker on a white sheet of paper....set it on the front seat and take pictures of it, during the day and night. Use those pics for court.

Good luck bro! Your tint looks factory to me.
Trybal is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 10:06 AM
  #16  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Wow, I can't believe that. That tint isn't dark at all. Fight it man. GL
Pro6 is offline  
Old 26-Nov-2009, 04:39 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
thats the problem with cops , they think they are above the law and the are almighty god...
Where in your ticket episode does it show that the cop was acting above the law? I'm leaning more and more to you getting the ticket because of failing the attitude test.


Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
I have a problem with you saying a motivated cop thats pretty much saying a cop abusing his power can do anything he wants...
I didn't say that a motivated cop can do "anything he wants". I said that a motivated cop can in most cases find something to ticket you for, without doing anything improper in the process.

If he's not doing anything improper, he's not (as you say) abusing his power. He's simply exercising his discretion to hold you to the letter of the law.

In this case the cop decided your tint was too dark and issued a ticket for equipment violation. You can challenge that in court and that is where he will articulate his reasons for issuing that ticket.


Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
I didnt say i see you in court , i actually said i m taking this to court because i never had a problem in 4 years...

The only thing you are right about is the under certain light conditions my tinting could look darker , i agree on that ...
And this is what the cop will probably articulate in court. He will try to convince the JP that your tint was too dark and/or mirrory for him to see inside your vehicle in the lighting conditions that he stopped you in.
FiveO is offline  
Old 02-Dec-2009, 11:09 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Martin_vtec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: In Front of you
Posts: 202
bring that picture to court lol.. like wtf..

i got 5% all round surprised i havnt got bit
Martin_vtec is offline  
Old 28-Jan-2010, 01:52 PM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1
5%? and you didn't get pull over yet. Your lucky i don't want to jinx it for you though lol, yeh mine is 35% no problems yet, but they're right.. it depends on the cop for sure, some are ******.
SIVAID is offline  
Old 01-Feb-2010, 05:08 PM
  #20  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 41
hey guys i think the cop is just being a royal pain in the ***!
i was just wondering what is the legal tint % in ONT.
thanks
ababoolall is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ticket for tinting


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.