Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

speeding ticket 129 km/h

Old 25-Feb-2009, 02:23 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
speeding ticket 129 km/h

Hello all,

I need some advice as I have gone to the court and choose the 3rd option which is a trial. I have not received any notice from the court yet re: the summon. But here is what happened.

I merged onto the highway, and I was doing 130 km/h, as the people on the highway when I was merging were doing the same. So I merged and went into the very left lane right away and cruised at 130 km/h for about 200 meters. Now, behind me about 100 meters were the cars. I then went into the middle lane after about 200 meters with a speed of 125 km/h and then into the very right lane with a speed of 119 km/h, as I was taking the next exit off. I looked into my mirror and their was a cruiser which then turned its lights on. This was all within 1 exit to the other. Which normally takes 2 minutes to cover. The cop said that he got me driving at 133 km/h and that he reduced the ticket to 129 km/h so that I fall into the 3 points catagory.

My first question is, will 3 points effect my insurance much?

Second, If I go to court, any suggestions?

Third, Sould I get a x copper? Will they really help?

Thanks,
nigmafrost is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 02:32 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Gallagher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Your sisters bedroom
Posts: 30,142
1) yes
2) where in hamilton did this happen?
3) didn't they go out of business?
Gallagher is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 02:34 PM
  #3  
always building
iTrader: (2)
 
ol Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,570
X copper went under. check your pm.
ol Dusty is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 02:49 PM
  #4  
The Infamous Kracker
iTrader: (3)
 
k_r_a_c_k_e_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 28,418
x copper went bankrupt.. WITH MY ****ING MONEY!!.. lol
k_r_a_c_k_e_r is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 03:05 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
thrill_house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: High Park
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by k_r_a_c_k_e_r View Post
x copper went bankrupt.. WITH MY ****ING MONEY!!.. lol
No way, they went out of buisiness??!! I have used them so many times, they were great!
thrill_house is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 03:54 PM
  #6  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
happened in between fruitland qew heading towards cenntenial qew.

Originally Posted by Gallagher View Post
1) yes
2) where in hamilton did this happen?
3) didn't they go out of business?
nigmafrost is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 05:11 PM
  #7  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Demerit points do not effect your insurance, only the type of infraction. In this case speeding. Points are used by the MTO to determine driving privlages. Get 9 and you lose your licence.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 06:27 PM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
Oh so, my insurance wont go sky rocket? lol

Originally Posted by DumbasSi View Post
Demerit points do not effect your insurance, only the type of infraction. In this case speeding. Points are used by the MTO to determine driving privlages. Get 9 and you lose your licence.
nigmafrost is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 06:33 PM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
testing something, dont mind...
nigmafrost is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 07:38 PM
  #10  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Depending on your insurance company and policy, maybe or maybe not. My company allows 1 ticket every 2 years before my rates would go up. You could hire someone to help you fight the ticket, but often they just get it reduced, so it will still be on your record. I know a guy from St Catharines who is a ticket figher. He has helped me before. Pm me if you want his contact info.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 08:08 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington
Posts: 15,101
just go to court, plead gilty, and say yes that you will pay the ticket, but ask to have the points droped..
spike is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 08:15 PM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
I was told never to plead guilty, because it ruins the point of going to court. Doesn't it? I was told to talk to the prosecutor and say... "I am not sure what to say here, because I was simply merging onto the highway and I was doing the same speed as everyone else and I was singled out. I am sorry that I was following everyone else at the speed limit which was over. I would greatly appreciate it if I did not get charged any points"

What do you guys think?

Originally Posted by spike View Post
just go to court, plead gilty, and say yes that you will pay the ticket, but ask to have the points droped..
nigmafrost is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 10:17 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by nigmafrost View Post
I was told never to plead guilty, because it ruins the point of going to court. Doesn't it? I was told to talk to the prosecutor and say... "I am not sure what to say here, because I was simply merging onto the highway and I was doing the same speed as everyone else and I was singled out. I am sorry that I was following everyone else at the speed limit which was over. I would greatly appreciate it if I did not get charged any points"

What do you guys think?
You merged onto the highway, shot over 3 lanes to the far left lane fairly quickly, then back over to the right lane just as quickly because your 1-exit down the road was coming up.

Then you say you had to do 130 because everyone else was doing so. If everyone else was doing so, why did you have to shoot over to the left lane?

Your exit was only 2 minutes down the road from where you got on in the first place. Why wouldn't you have stayed in the right hand lane given that short distance, unless of course you went to the left in order to pass a whack of traffic that was doing, shall we say, somewhere nearer the speed limit?

Your story makes no sense. If anything, it cofirms that you were tavelling much faster than at least 2 lanes of traffic and perhaps even faster than the other traffic in the far left lane.

By the way, the argument that "everyone else was going that fast too" means nothing. The cop will pick someone out of the crowd. Given your faster ramp to left back to ramp maneuver, I can understand why he would have picked you. So will a JP or prosecutor once they hear the cop's testimony.
FiveO is offline  
Old 25-Feb-2009, 11:40 PM
  #14  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
So any suggestions as to what I can say in my defense?

Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
You merged onto the highway, shot over 3 lanes to the far left lane fairly quickly, then back over to the right lane just as quickly because your 1-exit down the road was coming up.

Then you say you had to do 130 because everyone else was doing so. If everyone else was doing so, why did you have to shoot over to the left lane?

Your exit was only 2 minutes down the road from where you got on in the first place. Why wouldn't you have stayed in the right hand lane given that short distance, unless of course you went to the left in order to pass a whack of traffic that was doing, shall we say, somewhere nearer the speed limit?

Your story makes no sense. If anything, it cofirms that you were tavelling much faster than at least 2 lanes of traffic and perhaps even faster than the other traffic in the far left lane.

By the way, the argument that "everyone else was going that fast too" means nothing. The cop will pick someone out of the crowd. Given your faster ramp to left back to ramp maneuver, I can understand why he would have picked you. So will a JP or prosecutor once they hear the cop's testimony.
nigmafrost is offline  
Old 26-Feb-2009, 12:04 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by nigmafrost View Post
So any suggestions as to what I can say in my defense?

You don't have a defense. If anything, you should count your lucky stars the cop didn't slap you with a stunting charge for your back and forth rapid lane changes around traffic that was already going well enough above the limit.

Last edited by FiveO; 26-Feb-2009 at 12:12 AM.
FiveO is offline  
Old 26-Feb-2009, 12:07 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
jdesouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pickering
Posts: 969
court is a waste of time .... wasted a whole afternoon only to be told by the prosecuter that he will put the cop on the stand and tell his side which will likely stand and because he reduced the ticket he would fight for it to be raised. Now, wth am i to say to that, its my word against the cops, and 99% chance im going to lose and therefore get a higher fine and from 0 pts to 3 pts ... i said to hell with this all i did was delay paying the 50$ lol what a waste ... in all honestly pay it be done with move on ... ur delaying something that your going to end up paying for ANYWAYS... especially if the cop reduced it, he will show up to court due to the new rules where they have the cop come in for like 5 tickets at once and he will think ur ungrateful for not taking the reduced speed and he'll bump it back up! But again, its your time your money lol, and ultimately your word against his...sucks but thats life

btw: i didnt go to court for this till 2-3 months after the ticket was issued lol. Reason being is the process is slow and now its even slower cuz they schedule the cops to show up to court for any tickets they have that ppl are fighting. My cousin is a cop for toronto and he said cops werent showing up and tickets were getting thrown out so in order to keep a balance they schedule the cop in on a certain day and in that day he may have 4-5 ppl that are fighting tickets he wrote.

Last edited by jdesouz; 26-Feb-2009 at 12:10 AM.
jdesouz is offline  
Old 26-Feb-2009, 12:24 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Ireland460's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Stoney Creek
Posts: 134
Yea man you gotta be carful i live out in winona. every morning on the way to work when i merge on the qew at 50 road towards toronto theres a couple opp cruisers sitting under the bridge. and then again at fruitland. They like to sit at the bottom of the skyway both ways too. + the truck stop before 50 exit going niagra. Sucks you got a ticket
Ireland460 is offline  
Old 26-Feb-2009, 12:35 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
cr8tive_leo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ontario
Posts: 643
It's an R18 man! how do you make it go so fast!?

J/K, seriously, pay the fine, and just be thankful he reduced it. Don't be doing that again, especially just to get to the next exit.
cr8tive_leo is offline  
Old 26-Feb-2009, 01:17 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 347
Delete your responses in this thread and go see Forch at REDLINE Legal Services :: Provincial Offences Specialists with Traffic Ticket Defence Strategies Dufferin office.

He'll straighten this out for you.



Also, as others mentioned above, convictions, any conviction, will be a red flag on your insurance profile. You could have rolled through a stop sign during a snow storm in Churchill Ontario and you'd still get dinged by insurance.

Trust the professionals. If you pay the ticket (around $150?) and insurance goes up (maybe $400/year) there's your ticket fighting $$$ right there!
Hatorade is offline  
Old 26-Feb-2009, 11:59 AM
  #20  
Member
Thread Starter
 
nigmafrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 85
Alright, thanks guys.

Now I got like 3 different telephone numbers for offense specialists, but I've already put my form towards the option 3 and pending for a letter to be received from the court. If I get this service will this effect my summon date or day? Or will they take care of it?

Originally Posted by Hatorade View Post
Delete your responses in this thread and go see Forch at REDLINE Legal Services :: Provincial Offences Specialists with Traffic Ticket Defence Strategies Dufferin office.

He'll straighten this out for you.



Also, as others mentioned above, convictions, any conviction, will be a red flag on your insurance profile. You could have rolled through a stop sign during a snow storm in Churchill Ontario and you'd still get dinged by insurance.

Trust the professionals. If you pay the ticket (around $150?) and insurance goes up (maybe $400/year) there's your ticket fighting $$$ right there!

Last edited by nigmafrost; 26-Feb-2009 at 12:03 PM.
nigmafrost is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: speeding ticket 129 km/h


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.