Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

Parking ticket argh!!!!

Old 18-Nov-2008, 03:54 PM
  #1  
-- site donator --
Thread Starter
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Parking ticket argh!!!!

Ive been parking in the exact same spot, right in front of my house for almost 3 years. Theres no signage or lines on the road stating that you cant park where I park and Ive never received a ticket.

This morning I find a ticket on my windshield, Stopping Prohibited "Within 6m of a Crosswalk". Written at the top of the ticket was "crosswalk not marked, 6ft away".

Long story short, I go down to the Municipal Parking Office to contest it. The Enforcement Adjudicator explains that you cannot park within 6m of a stop or a crosswalk even if the crosswalk is unmarked as it is assumed that it is there. He gave me a warning and told me to park further away from this mysterious crosswalk.

I know about the stop sign rule, but an unmarked crosswalk? Cmon!

So, when I got home, I broke out the tape measure and measured back 18ft and spray painted a big line on the road so now I know where I can park.

Im also going to be a dick and call them everytime my one neighbours parks right in front of the stop sign thats on the opposite corner. If Im getting a ticket for parking there, then everyone else is too.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 18-Nov-2008, 04:00 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Polkaroo Killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Fortress of Superheroes
Posts: 7,271
Originally Posted by DumbasSi View Post
Im also going to be a dick and call them everytime my one neighbours parks right in front of the stop sign thats on the opposite corner. If Im getting a ticket for parking there, then everyone else is too.
^ So you're gonna be the neighbour that rats out all the other neighbours. I killl you!


I agree with you though......unmarked crosswalk...... give me a break.
Polkaroo Killa is offline  
Old 18-Nov-2008, 04:33 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
I bet one of your neighbors made a phone call on you.
starboy869 is offline  
Old 18-Nov-2008, 04:56 PM
  #4  
-- site donator --
Thread Starter
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
That I could see if I was blocking the sidewalk where this crosswalk is supposed to be, but I was 6ft away from it according to the ticket. The Parking Enforcement Officer has been ticketing alot of people in my neighbourhood mostly for opstructing the sidewalks. Our driveways are not quite long enough for 2 cars, so most peoples cars will stick out slightly and partially or fully block the sidewalk. Thats exactly why I park on the road.

I have 2 neighbours that both park right beside the stop signs where my street meets theirs. They should be getting tickets because when their cars are parked there, you can barely see the oncoming traffic.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 18-Nov-2008, 05:01 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
xray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 3,978
It was probably 5 minutes before the metermaid's quittin time and needed that one more ticket to push for the office's free monthly Manderin lunch draw for most quota.
xray is offline  
Old 18-Nov-2008, 08:46 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
hula_balu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 459
do you guys know or atleast an idea on how often these parking maids check their routes?
hula_balu is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 01:45 AM
  #7  
Member
 
-DaRyL-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: mississauga
Posts: 35
mississauga parking control is stupid my family has gotten over 400 in tickets this year alone we have 4 cars at my house and enough space for 2 so this *** keeps coming on our street nailing us almost everyday so me and my dad stayed up one night to **** with him he kept chalking our tires so we kept going out and moving them then he had enough of that and came back and nailed my dad for parking on the boulevard and touching the grass, its ridiculous the **** they do, and if alot of ppl get tickets on your street they come back on a regular basis cuz they know they can hand out alot of tickets.

Last edited by -DaRyL-; 19-Nov-2008 at 02:00 AM.
-DaRyL- is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 05:26 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 667
for me.. I got a ticket at the GO train station. They decided to move the pay parking and not inform anyone. They are marked with a yellow post and a sign abotu 7 feet off the ground. Just so happened they made my regular spot into one. The best part is they put the sign beside the yellow pole that marks the end of the parking lane. So I didn't look because I though everything was normal, all that to come back to a $60 parking ticket.
Of course I am fighting it.... I'd rather pay $4000 worth of gas to drive to fight it then pay it just for the principle
kingjames1983 is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 08:24 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
xray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 3,978
Meter maids are the worst! No matter how nice you plead with them, they still give tickets. Even if they're wrong, they won't admit it.
xray is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 10:23 AM
  #10  
The Infamous Kracker
iTrader: (3)
 
k_r_a_c_k_e_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 28,418
Originally Posted by xray View Post
Meter maids are the worst! No matter how nice you plead with them, they still give tickets. Even if they're wrong, they won't admit it.
Reminds me of parking wars on A&E.. lol

glad I live on a street where they dont care..
k_r_a_c_k_e_r is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 10:55 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 400 & 401 / 404 & 401
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by -DaRyL- View Post
mississauga parking control is stupid my family has gotten over 400 in tickets this year alone we have 4 cars at my house and enough space for 2 so this *** keeps coming on our street nailing us almost everyday so me and my dad stayed up one night to **** with him he kept chalking our tires so we kept going out and moving them then he had enough of that and came back and nailed my dad for parking on the boulevard and touching the grass, its ridiculous the **** they do, and if alot of ppl get tickets on your street they come back on a regular basis cuz they know they can hand out alot of tickets.
DubbleYooTeeEff?





TroubEL is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 12:28 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by DumbasSi View Post
So, when I got home, I broke out the tape measure and measured back 18ft and spray painted a big line on the road so now I know where I can park.
Break out that spray can again. 6 meters is actually a bit over 19-1/2 feet.
FiveO is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 12:48 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Burlington
Posts: 235
It should be 16.6850394 feet ...
99CivicSiR is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 12:52 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Double B's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 2,306
I got a ticket back in May for parking in front of my house for over 3 hours. I was parked on the street because I worked that morning and came home around 5 am. So I parked on the street so the wife wouldn't have to move my car. I went to municipal to get a court date to fight it. The explanation I got was there are posted signs that say you cannot park for over 3 hours. So I asked where the signs are? They are at every entrance point when you come into Whitby. I decided to fight it. I am still waiting for a response and haven't gotten one.

Everyhwere else in Durham, the law is between midnight and 7 you cannot park. In Whitby, its every 3 hours, so that means if someone comes over to my house and he has been drinking, and I tell him to stay, if he is parked on the street, technically we would have to move the car a couple of feet every 3 hours. This is the explanation the woman at the municipal office gave me.
Double B is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 01:39 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by 99CivicSiR View Post
It should be 16.6850394 feet ...
You've got a typo in there. Replace the first 6 with a 9.
FiveO is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 02:47 PM
  #16  
always building
iTrader: (2)
 
ol Dusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: In my car
Posts: 1,570
just s thought. how bout you measure 6m and paint there instead of 19.what ever the heck it works out to be
ol Dusty is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 03:03 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
Originally Posted by ol Dusty View Post
just s thought. how bout you measure 6m and paint there instead of 19.what ever the heck it works out to be
i think he meant the original ticket was 6 meters away, and he only had a measuring tape that measured feet, so he measured 18 feet.

I might be wrong though
fingolfin is offline  
Old 19-Nov-2008, 04:23 PM
  #18  
-- site donator --
Thread Starter
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
I guesstimated that 6 metres was about 18ft. You are supposed to park at least 6m away from a crosswalk or stop sign.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 20-Nov-2008, 10:34 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
07Ex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,416
That sucks Mike! Most likely either someone on your street does not like you or the parking guys had to fulfill their quota.
07Ex is offline  
Old 25-Nov-2008, 10:41 AM
  #20  
-- site donator --
 
gavin.p89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,053
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
I got a ticket back in May for parking in front of my house for over 3 hours. I was parked on the street because I worked that morning and came home around 5 am. So I parked on the street so the wife wouldn't have to move my car. I went to municipal to get a court date to fight it. The explanation I got was there are posted signs that say you cannot park for over 3 hours. So I asked where the signs are? They are at every entrance point when you come into Whitby. I decided to fight it. I am still waiting for a response and haven't gotten one.

Everyhwere else in Durham, the law is between midnight and 7 you cannot park. In Whitby, its every 3 hours, so that means if someone comes over to my house and he has been drinking, and I tell him to stay, if he is parked on the street, technically we would have to move the car a couple of feet every 3 hours. This is the explanation the woman at the municipal office gave me.

What I have done in the past is leave a not on my wiper blabe saying.
I know i should not park here, drank way to much, didn't plan on it, should you want my to drink and drive call me and we can discuss.
gavin.p89 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Parking ticket argh!!!!


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.