Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

Insurance..

Old 12-Jul-2009, 06:32 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
matt491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto (Scarb)
Posts: 268
Insurance..

New here. I've been into civics (and imports in general) for way too long and lurked this site for years. I currently ride a sportbike because it's cheaper on insurance as a vehicle than a car would be for me. I'd sell my bike in a second if I could afford the insurance on a car. Here lies my question.

Is there ANY hope for a 20yr old male in Toronto for insurance!?

The CHEAPEST quote I got this year was $7000. The car itself would be cheaper than that....

Is there any backdoor methods or tips or tricks I'm missing here? Any companys who are cheaper than others?! Or am I screwed until I turn 25 or something. (with motorcycle, your insurance drops like MAD at 25).

Thanks.
matt491 is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 06:54 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
Toronto in Canada for worst insurance rates. Do a search for 'insurance' on TCC. There is plenty of other threads about this matter. After your search i would ask:

Is the car modded?

What license to do you have and for how long have you had that license?
Trybal is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 06:54 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington
Posts: 15,101
**** when I was 20 I was only paying $2400 a year with full coverage, and that was on a 98 SI and that was back in 02. I was with stateFarm back then, and I am still with them now. They are one of the few insurance companys that will insure a modded car, engine swaps as well.
spike is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 06:58 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
matt491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto (Scarb)
Posts: 268
I've been told statefarm wont insure anyone under 25. I know for a FACT they're that way with bikes, I've been told the same about cars and just believed it to be true. Maybe I'll call them.

When I called the company who my bikes with, they have my record. The car I got quoted on was a STOCK 95-00 honda civic. They said 6900 for a four door, 7100 for a two door. Ridiculous...

My info is:
20yr old male
Scarborough (Toronto)
GM2 (License since the DAY I turned 16)
1 Minor speeding ticket
2 at fault accidents (don't get me started, I wasn't at fault for EITHER!)
1 year accident/claim free, 2 and a half years ticket free

When I spoke to my broker, she gave me the quote and I said, "Damn, I guess I'll have to wait till my record is clean" She said it doesn't make much difference. Gave me a quote WITHOUT the two accidents and it was $500 cheaper.... **** my life...

Any advice?
matt491 is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 07:08 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
585 per month is way too much.

Get some quotes from a few companies (ie, state farm, TD, RBC, etc). Raise the deductible to $1000. If you don't plan on driving more than 10,000km per year, you can insure it as a pleasure vehicle. Make sure to have your full G license.
Trybal is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 07:12 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington
Posts: 15,101
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
I've been told statefarm wont insure anyone under 25. I know for a FACT they're that way with bikes, I've been told the same about cars and just believed it to be true. Maybe I'll call them.

When I called the company who my bikes with, they have my record. The car I got quoted on was a STOCK 95-00 honda civic. They said 6900 for a four door, 7100 for a two door. Ridiculous...

My info is:
20yr old male
Scarborough (Toronto)
GM2 (License since the DAY I turned 16)
1 Minor speeding ticket
2 at fault accidents (don't get me started, I wasn't at fault for EITHER!)
1 year accident/claim free, 2 and a half years ticket free

When I spoke to my broker, she gave me the quote and I said, "Damn, I guess I'll have to wait till my record is clean" She said it doesn't make much difference. Gave me a quote WITHOUT the two accidents and it was $500 cheaper.... **** my life...

Any advice?
That's why it is so high, the 1 speeding ticket, and the 2 accidents, plus you only have your G2. Once you get your G it will go down, and those tickets stay on your record for 6 year before they come off it. State Farm will take people under 25.
spike is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 07:16 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
3 years for tickets

5 years for at-fault collisions
Trybal is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 07:19 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington
Posts: 15,101
6 years for collisions, mine just came off last year.
spike is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 07:24 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
correction...Demerit points remain on your driving record for 2 years from date of offence.

Seems that insurance companies differ for at-fault collisions....TD is 5 years
Trybal is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 07:28 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
D.T.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 4,637
Hm I had 93eg and I was occasional driver under my mums name and I was paying 160'ish a month. I called to see what it would be under my name, they told me 280$ and that's with g2. I've had it for 2 years...[yeah I know I can't fine time to get full g] and a careless driving ticket. <-dont ask about that, long story.
I'm 19 and I'm with TD general insurance.
D.T.P is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 09:21 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
You may want to try the following

Put it under your dads name and be an occasional driver , that may reduce your quotes by a lot
TD insurance is the best one out there so give them i call..

PS dont deal with brokers , they are the worst , they ll grab your money and then when something happens they wont help you....(at least most of them)

This may be ilegal but i know so many people that do it , get a friend who lives out of town and register your insurance under their address (with his permission) , you ll be surprise how cheap insurance can get outside of toronto...
rick10 is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 10:15 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
matt491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto (Scarb)
Posts: 268
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'll be calling statefarm and TD tomorrow.

Tickets AND accidents I was told by my insurance company (Dominion of Canada) stay on for three years, not two or five.

And to clear it up, I have my FULL G and my M2.

I just don't get the quotes. I mean, 4 or 5 grand, sure, that's what I was expecting. But 7 or 8?!
As for under my fathers name. With Dominion you can only have one car per person in the house. So if there's three of us here, and three vehicles, one HAS to go under me. My dad can't insure two. Now, if we have three cars and insure a fourth, it can go under my dad.

I'm basically ****ed I think...
matt491 is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 10:21 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
D.T.P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N/A
Posts: 4,637
Hm well there are 4ppl and 4cars in my house, thing is, one car is with a different insurance company. I think state farm. And the other 3 are with td. Its been like that for over a year now and haven't had a problem yet.
D.T.P is offline  
Old 12-Jul-2009, 10:32 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
matt491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto (Scarb)
Posts: 268
I could very well have it insured with another company than my parents, but my issue is I got quotes through dominion of Canada (who is an insurance company, not a broker I believe) and got quoted friggen 8 grand. The company I'm with for my bike (JR Duffy insurance brokers) got me down to 7000. I haven't called TD or statefarm. With my accidents and my ticket, I don't know if statefarm will take me.

I'm going to have to look into this "pleasure vehicle" drive it less than 10k a year thing. How do they know if you really drive it 10k or less per year?
matt491 is offline  
Old 13-Jul-2009, 10:50 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: t.dot
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
I've been told statefarm wont insure anyone under 25. I know for a FACT they're that way with bikes, I've been told the same about cars and just believed it to be true. Maybe I'll call them.

When I called the company who my bikes with, they have my record. The car I got quoted on was a STOCK 95-00 honda civic. They said 6900 for a four door, 7100 for a two door. Ridiculous...

My info is:
20yr old male
Scarborough (Toronto)
GM2 (License since the DAY I turned 16)
1 Minor speeding ticket
2 at fault accidents (don't get me started, I wasn't at fault for EITHER!)
1 year accident/claim free, 2 and a half years ticket free

When I spoke to my broker, she gave me the quote and I said, "Damn, I guess I'll have to wait till my record is clean" She said it doesn't make much difference. Gave me a quote WITHOUT the two accidents and it was $500 cheaper.... **** my life...

Any advice?
where do you get your information... your so wrong its hilarious (I'm 22 and insured with statefarm) as for bikes well your wrong again but anyways

state farm wont insure you because of your poor driving history and the company your with currently quotes you so high because your a high risk driver so your premium is a mirror image of your driving history

your ticket falls off in 6 months which is good, unfortunetly your accidents will haunt you for a few more years

advise from someone who works for insurance... drive more carfully, accidents are crap and to be honest I believe you that they weren't your fault because I've been in your situation before. Theres not much you can do now to reverse the effect the accidents will have on your insurance problems but they will eventually not effect you. do not, do NOT! get anymore tickets.
miss_jess is offline  
Old 13-Jul-2009, 10:51 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: t.dot
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
I could very well have it insured with another company than my parents, but my issue is I got quotes through dominion of Canada (who is an insurance company, not a broker I believe) and got quoted friggen 8 grand. The company I'm with for my bike (JR Duffy insurance brokers) got me down to 7000. I haven't called TD or statefarm. With my accidents and my ticket, I don't know if statefarm will take me.

I'm going to have to look into this "pleasure vehicle" drive it less than 10k a year thing. How do they know if you really drive it 10k or less per year?
they check your odm reading
miss_jess is offline  
Old 13-Jul-2009, 11:23 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
matt491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto (Scarb)
Posts: 268
Originally Posted by miss_jess View Post
where do you get your information... your so wrong its hilarious (I'm 22 and insured with statefarm) as for bikes well your wrong again but anyways

state farm wont insure you because of your poor driving history and the company your with currently quotes you so high because your a high risk driver so your premium is a mirror image of your driving history

your ticket falls off in 6 months which is good, unfortunetly your accidents will haunt you for a few more years

advice from someone who works for insurance... drive more carfully, accidents are crap and to be honest I believe you that they weren't your fault because I've been in your situation before. Theres not much you can do now to reverse the effect the accidents will have on your insurance problems but they will eventually not effect you. do not, do NOT! get anymore tickets.
Sorry, I made a mistake. It's not insure you if you're over 25, you have to have five years driving experience on your G license to get insured for a bike with them. (what I was told by a statefarm agent)
matt491 is offline  
Old 13-Jul-2009, 11:33 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: t.dot
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
Sorry, I made a mistake. It's not insure you if you're over 25, you have to have five years driving experience on your G license to get insured for a bike with them. (what I was told by a statefarm agent)
yes that is true... i work for state farm
miss_jess is offline  
Old 13-Jul-2009, 11:34 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
matt491's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto (Scarb)
Posts: 268
Originally Posted by miss_jess View Post
yes that is true... i work for state farm
And I'm ****ed because I'm only at 4 years.. I hear statefarm is unbeatable.

EDIT* Just got off the phone with TD. They can't insure me cause of my two accidents. **** my life I'll have to call statefarm tomorrow, but they'll probably tell me the same..

Last edited by matt491; 13-Jul-2009 at 11:48 AM.
matt491 is offline  
Old 13-Jul-2009, 11:52 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: t.dot
Posts: 3,692
Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
And I'm ****ed because I'm only at 4 years.. I hear statefarm is unbeatable.

EDIT* Just got off the phone with TD. They can't insure me cause of my two accidents. **** my life I'll have to call statefarm tomorrow, but they'll probably tell me the same..
yaaa state farm won't insure you, don't bother wasting your time. Call kingsway, they insure highrisk drivers

I have never had anyone cancel bike insurance with us due to price, it really is unbeatable

well sorry to hear no one will insure you though lessoned learned I guess eh? (sorry just kidding)

Have you spoke to your parents about them helping you out a little? Maybe going under them?
miss_jess is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Insurance..


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.