Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

i got into a car accident

Old 20-Jun-2009, 12:48 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
i got into a car accident

hey guys i need some help here I'm really desperate at this moment .
well 2 weeks ago i was at a light waiting to turn green than out of no were i got rear ended anyways to make story short the insurance now don't wanna give me a Cheque since the car went rid off and there saying the car ownership is under my name but on the insurance im on the occasional driver and there saying i should of have my own insurance since the ownership its under my name... but when my dad called them to add me on the policy he tolled them that the car is under my name .. so i went to the broker my self and i tolled him than why did he let me drive it if this was the case why im i paying for than.. he tellss me that he thoughhhhhhhhhh that the car was under my parents name and he didnt have to ask my dad since the other cars was always under my parents name.. now i dunno wat to do i call the insurance its self they tell me ummm the decision is allready been made i dunno wat to do my car is gone and they dont even wanna pay me nothing when it wasnt even my falt. btw the insurance company is wawanesa some help please what other actions can i take this is driving my nuts and im hurt to for the worst part.. thank you.
scorpion is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 12:56 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 29
If you were rear ended, then why isn't the other driver's insurance responsible for fixing your car? did the cops come? Was the guy charged? If you were rear ended then he should have been charged and all responsibility will be on the other driver's insurance.
98silverturbo is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 12:57 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
iTrader: (-1)
 
pinkcivicchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Maple/North Bay
Posts: 2,255
I'm insured with wawanesa as well. That's very odd. The times I dealt with them it was ok experiences. Did you get a police report? The guy who hit you insurance should be covering you? He hit you, if you didn't get a police report done, that was the first step you went wrong. And you should have that guys/girls info. I hope it helps
pinkcivicchick is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 01:04 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
Originally Posted by 98silverturbo View Post
If you were rear ended, then why isn't the other driver's insurance responsible for fixing your car? did the cops come? Was the guy charged? If you were rear ended then he should have been charged and all responsibility will be on the other driver's insurance.
x2 ...the dude that rear-ended you is at fault, so therefore it's their insurance company's responsibility to cover the cost of damages, even if you weren't insured at all.

Please specify the police report.
Trybal is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 02:02 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington
Posts: 15,101
The other driver is at fault, but with insurance now, there is a no fault if you get hit, which just means your insurance pays to get your car fixed, and his insurance fixs his car, just your insurance rate does not go up, because you were not at fault, but the other drivers insurance will go up because they are. The only thing I can think of to why they are not wanting to give you the money for, is because you are set as a occasional driver and not primary driver on the car, even tho the car is in your name, and if you drive the car all the time, you should be set as primary driver, not as a occasional driver.
spike is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 03:17 PM
  #6  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Originally Posted by spike View Post
The other driver is at fault, but with insurance now, there is a no fault if you get hit, which just means your insurance pays to get your car fixed, and his insurance fixs his car, just your insurance rate does not go up, because you were not at fault, but the other drivers insurance will go up because they are. The only thing I can think of to why they are not wanting to give you the money for, is because you are set as a occasional driver and not primary driver on the car, even tho the car is in your name, and if you drive the car all the time, you should be set as primary driver, not as a occasional driver.
Pretty much sums it up. No fault insurance pays for your own damages regardless of who is at fault. Your liability coverage would pay the other person if they were seriously injured though.

Your insurance can still go up regardless of who is at fault simply becuase you are making a claim. The more claims you make, the more your insurance might go up. Some insurance policies have accident forgiveness. Ive had 1 at fault and my insurance hasnt gone up a dime.

If the policy was in your parents name, then the insurance company should pay them.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 03:27 PM
  #7  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
well what i did after i got the accident i called the police and they gave me a # blah blah anyways i went to the collision center reported it everything was done right called insurance blah blah.. but when i went to pick up my cheque they asked me for the ownership so i gave them it he tells me wait this is under your name.. im like yeah he comes back ten minutes later saying they have to look at this now blah blah 2 days later he called me hes like i cant give u a cheque becasue the car is under your name but on the inusruance your the occasional driver.... so i explained to him that the broker didnt ask to see the ownership and he assumedddddddd it was under my dads name and on top of that my dad himself tolled them before he insured me that the car was under my name .. so nowww im stuck at a dead end i dont know what to do who to call or where to go i got screwed by this broker and he dosent wanna call the headoffice and sayyy ohhh i assumed its my falt blah blah i even tolled him how did u autorize me than now u wanna refund my $ back since u know you messsed up on this he says umm i cant take back time wtfff .. this is bugging me so much im in pain and on top of everything im getting screwed like this not fair at all
scorpion is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 03:38 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 910
That what happens when you try and save some $. Since you don't have a car now maybe you can put the $ towards some spelling lessons.
starboy869 is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 03:55 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Trybal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Parry Sound
Posts: 1,984
Are you saying that they hit you hard enough to write-off your car, yet no body called the police to come check it out?

Yes, your spelling and grammer is quite terrible.
Trybal is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 04:09 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 9
i did call the police btw they just gave me a claim number and i toke down the girls info as well.. i wasnt trying to save money its just that the broker didnt tell me anything at all ... and my dad tolled the broker that car was under my name ..
the stupid insurance company dosent even give a **** even if its my falt or not i tolled them i was rearrrrrrrrrrr ended i didnt even hit anyone than they tell me the decision has been made allready .. we cant go back wtf do i do now?
scorpion is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 04:37 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by DumbasSi View Post
Pretty much sums it up. No fault insurance pays for your own damages regardless of who is at fault. Your liability coverage would pay the other person if they were seriously injured though.

Your insurance can still go up regardless of who is at fault simply becuase you are making a claim. The more claims you make, the more your insurance might go up. Some insurance policies have accident forgiveness. Ive had 1 at fault and my insurance hasnt gone up a dime.

If the policy was in your parents name, then the insurance company should pay them.
are you trying to say that its his fault ( but he got rear ended )? or just the policy now? I got into a car accident too.. will my insurance go up and I am 100% not at fault but i did make a claim for physio and stuff will my insurance go up?
civc12 is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 05:05 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Burlington
Posts: 15,101
Originally Posted by civc12 View Post
are you trying to say that its his fault ( but he got rear ended )? or just the policy now? I got into a car accident too.. will my insurance go up and I am 100% not at fault but i did make a claim for physio and stuff will my insurance go up?
Do you people not read, he said in his very first post, that he (scorpion) got rear ended, and that he did call the cops, you all need to learn to read better.

P.S. Who gives a **** about grammer, you all know what he is saying.
spike is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 05:13 PM
  #13  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Your insurance policy pays for your damages regardless of who is at fault. You deal only with them, not the other person's company.

Read away...
What is no-fault auto insurance?
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 05:57 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
what was damage in your car that they said its a writte off?
do you have any pictures???...

It sucks that insurance doesnt want to pay for the damages. You may want to try a lawyer or something that can help you. It is still your fault for not having the insurance under your name however its the other persons fault for causing the accident. You may have a case but you need to look for profesional advice now.

Get a lawyer or an accident claim company that can help you.


BTW brokers suck !! I had one before and never again ... I only deal straigh with the insurance company (TD !)...
rick10 is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 06:10 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by starboy869 View Post
That what happens when you try and save some $. Since you don't have a car now maybe you can put the $ towards some spelling lessons.
you're a ****ing *******...the dude is stressed out about his situation and you call him on something so trivial as his spelling and grammar? Go drink a gallon of bleach.

I think even if you had one-way insurance, your insurance would pay you and they would get their money back from the other person's insurance. If you said that you got the other person's information I don't see why your insurance would not want to pay you. Because since it's the other person's fault, your insurance would get reimbursed from the other person's insurance company. That's what I was told atleast by my claims agent. I'm with Aviva btw.
_andross_ is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 06:25 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 87
Originally Posted by DumbasSi View Post
Pretty much sums it up. No fault insurance pays for your own damages regardless of who is at fault. Your liability coverage would pay the other person if they were seriously injured though.

Your insurance can still go up regardless of who is at fault simply becuase you are making a claim. The more claims you make, the more your insurance might go up. Some insurance policies have accident forgiveness. Ive had 1 at fault and my insurance hasnt gone up a dime.

If the policy was in your parents name, then the insurance company should pay them.
He said "The more claims you make, the more your insurance might go up" even though its not his fault? is this true?
I had a car accident and 100% not at fault i had to claim for my car and my physio and medical expenses will my insurance go up? (need help here)
civc12 is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 06:30 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 410
Originally Posted by civc12 View Post
He said "The more claims you make, the more your insurance might go up" even though its not his fault? is this true?
I had a car accident and 100% not at fault i had to claim for my car and my physio and medical expenses will my insurance go up? (need help here)
Maybe it depends on your insurance company. I got into an accident 2 weeks ago but I was 100% not at fault. This was my second accident in less than a year and the first one I wrote off my Civic. The agent said my rates will not move since it was not my fault. In fact I'm actually get a 10% discount on my premium (because of the Autograph program). So call and ask your insurance provider.
_andross_ is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 08:18 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 63
If you are deemed 100% not at fault your rates will not go up. I am assuming that this insurance was bound over the phone and not in person. Do you have a copy of the actual insurance policy on this vehicle? Read it over and see what it says. You may still have an action against the insurer if you were led to believe that you were covered, especially on an oral binder, but it will be tougher if there is written documentation that you were only an occasional driver. How many vehicles in your household and how many licensed drivers? The insurer is going to insist that each driver is primary on at least one vehicle or the vehicle owner has to guarantee that the car is never driven by the other party. Did you for this policy or your Dad?

Pat.
pricha00 is offline  
Old 20-Jun-2009, 09:27 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
Originally Posted by _andross_ View Post
you're a ****ing *******...the dude is stressed out about his situation and you call him on something so trivial as his spelling and grammar? Go drink a gallon of bleach.

I think even if you had one-way insurance, your insurance would pay you and they would get their money back from the other person's insurance. If you said that you got the other person's information I don't see why your insurance would not want to pay you. Because since it's the other person's fault, your insurance would get reimbursed from the other person's insurance company. That's what I was told atleast by my claims agent. I'm with Aviva btw.

+1
rick10 is offline  
Old 23-Jun-2009, 12:34 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
the stupid insurance company dosent even give a **** even if its my falt or not i tolled them i was rearrrrrrrrrrr ended i didnt even hit anyone than they tell me the decision has been made allready .. we cant go back wtf do i do now?
You misrepresented yourself to the insurance company when setting up the policy. In other words, you tried to shaft them out of insurance premiums that were rightfully due to them. They found out at a very inconvenient time for you, so now you're getting the shaft right back.

It sucks to be you, but you and your father have only yourselves to blame.
FiveO is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i got into a car accident


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.