Traffic tickets, accidents, insurance Discuss legal issues, emissions testing, illegal modifications, etc....

It Finally Happened!!!

Old 20-Jul-2009, 01:33 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RedLine Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oshawa, ON
Posts: 234
It Finally Happened!!!

so like the title says it happened. i got into an accident. i was driving on harmony rd in oshawa and stopped at the lights right before the highway. the lights turned green and we all started moving. there were two cars in front of me. now i was just shifting into second when the car in front of me hit the brakes. i dont know what happened to the first car but appearently he hit the brakes causing the car in front of to do so also. now i dont the best tire or brakes but i locked up n slid into him. as far as damages, i have little. the side bolt of my headlight is broken or loose and thats about it. the car in front of me is another story. the top of his rear bumper popped out n appearently his trunk doesnt close properly ( the rear fenders are pushed in at the top and he has to slam it closed ) other then that his liscence plate cover is broken. now i only have liability so i have to pay for the damages on my car. i offered to pay the damages of his instead of going through insurance so both of our rates dont go up. now the person who was driving was an 18 yr old kid who was driven his parents car so i dont know if theyll go for it. if they dont, does anyone know around how much my insurance will go up by. im with td right now and im paying about 200 a month. i have my g2 and just started driving on the road in may.
RedLine Tuner is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 01:57 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Xscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: █♣█ Durham
Posts: 11,514
best thing is to get his parents number and contact them directly and be up font, that you preferred not to go through insurance, so you are willing to fix their damage on your cost.

ask them to get you a quote from what ever shop they go to, and if you think that is fair then give them the go ahead and pay for the repairs. if you think the quote is to high, you can ask them if YOU can get them quote from another shop that might be little less something like that.

hopefully those folks are cooperative and wont be all **** about the situation.

you are looking around $1000 bill if not more, the things you have described that needs repairing on their car.
Xscorpio is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 04:18 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
 
KurdisH_KingZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7
Call the parents. see if you can solve the problem. if not. get a lawyer blame the kid for improper stopping! because do you know if this kid is liscensed or insured? maybe they will give in and just say forget it. good luck.
KurdisH_KingZ is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 04:56 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RedLine Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oshawa, ON
Posts: 234
they got a quote from a body shop for $2000 and they got a quote from a dealer for $4000. I told them forget it because i dont have that kind of money so i just put in a claim report.
RedLine Tuner is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:15 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 19
did you get all the information from the kid to make sure that he is insured.... did he tell you what happened with the vehicle infront of him and why he had to all of a sudden stop??
newtocivics is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:44 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by RedLine Tuner View Post
i offered to pay the damages of his instead of going through insurance so both of our rates dont go up. now the person who was driving was an 18 yr old kid who was driven his parents car so i dont know if theyll go for it. if
You ran into the back of him and that makes you 100% at fault for that crash. That means that his rates won't go up even if he does go through his insurance company.

If he's smart, that exactly what he should do. Too many people have been stiffed by trying to be "nice" to the at-fault driver in a crash.
FiveO is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:47 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by KurdisH_KingZ View Post
Call the parents. see if you can solve the problem. if not. get a lawyer blame the kid for improper stopping! because do you know if this kid is liscensed or insured? maybe they will give in and just say forget it. good luck.

Improper stopping? Are you an idiot?

The other driver stopped because the car in front of him stopped. Did you really expect him to not stop?
FiveO is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:55 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
 
KurdisH_KingZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Improper stopping? Are you an idiot?

The other driver stopped because the car in front of him stopped. Did you really expect him to not stop?
idiot? lol you really must be that idiot!

if you knew the law well enough there is always ways to get by them

there is such thing as improper stopping and improper lane change and so on.

for example. stoping because u get into a fight with your gf or watever. the kid who stopped in front of him has no witnesses stating what his reason was for stopping.

but neither does our honda friend.

its all how you work the law. and obviously you do not know anything.


i hit a benz years ago. but i worked my way in to get the driver who stopped fast to say he dropped his cigerrette
KurdisH_KingZ is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:56 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by newtocivics View Post
did you get all the information from the kid to make sure that he is insured.... did he tell you what happened with the vehicle infront of him and why he had to all of a sudden stop??
Some of you are really barking up the wrong trees.

It really doesn't matter why the first car in line had to stop - the other cars in line behind that first car still had a legal obligation to keep a safe following distance, pay attention, maintain tires and brakes so that their cars are able to stop quickly if need be, and be prepared to stop if necessary to avoid collision.

The second car in line was able to stop in time when the first car stopped. He met his legal obligations regardless of the reason for the first car stopping. Even if the first car didn't have a "good enough" reason for stopping, does anyone here really expect that the second driver would not have stopped to avoid hitting him?

The OP in the third car clearly failed to meet all of his legal obligations and as a result hit the car in front of him. It's all on him, and not on the first or second cars in line.
FiveO is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:58 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
KurdisH_KingZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7
oh and if you wait a while. then tell them you are not doing anything about it.

they won't be able to do anything . if they try to get law involved they will be asked why they did not report it right away.
KurdisH_KingZ is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 05:59 PM
  #11  
Junior Member
 
KurdisH_KingZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by FiveO View Post
Some of you are really barking up the wrong trees.

It really doesn't matter why the first car in line had to stop - the other cars in line behind that first car still had a legal obligation to keep a safe following distance, pay attention, maintain tires and brakes so that their cars are able to stop quickly if need be, and be prepared to stop if necessary to avoid collision.

The second car in line was able to stop in time when the first car stopped. He met his legal obligations regardless of the reason for the first car stopping. Even if the first car didn't have a "good enough" reason for stopping, does anyone here really expect that the second driver would not have stopped to avoid hitting him?

The OP in the third car clearly failed to meet all of his legal obligations and as a result hit the car in front of him. It's all on him, and not on the first or second cars in line.
I think most of us know that when you hit someone from the rear . your at fault. we are just giving him some advice to help him out best of luck
KurdisH_KingZ is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 06:09 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by KurdisH_KingZ View Post
idiot? lol you really must be that idiot!

if you knew the law well enough there is always ways to get by them
Sure, there's always ways to get around the law. Some people make a lifetime habit of it and don't care if they do so at other people's expense. Are you one of them?


Originally Posted by KurdisH_KingZ View Post
the kid who stopped in front of him has no witnesses stating what his reason was for stopping.

but neither does our honda friend.
Going by the OP's story, the car that he ran into stopped because the car in front of him did. In other words, he stopped out of necessity to avoid collision. That makes his stop perfectly proper.

Are you suggesting that the OP, because there may not have been "witnesses" present to back up the other driver's story, should lie and somehow try to blame the victim for the OP's own carelessness?

If so, that shows quite a lot about your own sense of morality, and it's not a pretty picture.

The OP screwed up, not the person he ran into.


Originally Posted by KurdisH_KingZ View Post
i hit a benz years ago. but i worked my way in to get the driver who stopped fast to say he dropped his cigerrette
That still makes you at fault. What if he stopped fast to avoid hitting a kid? Or because of catastrophic mechanical failure?

You ran into the back of that Benz. That strongly suggests that you failed to drive with due care and diligence, otherwise you would have had the necessary time and distance to stop to avoid hitting him. Way to go, "champ".
FiveO is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 06:11 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by KurdisH_KingZ View Post
oh and if you wait a while. then tell them you are not doing anything about it.

they won't be able to do anything . if they try to get law involved they will be asked why they did not report it right away.

Ah, I see that you're worse than an idiot.
FiveO is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 07:12 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Xscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: █♣█ Durham
Posts: 11,514
hitting from rear is 100% your fault, no matter what someone tell you that you can get away with that you cant. even if front driver drinking and driving, he slams on brake and you hit him in the back you are at 100% fault because LAW says you have to maintain safe distance from the vehicle in front under all conditions.
Xscorpio is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2009, 07:16 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Xscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: █♣█ Durham
Posts: 11,514
and also if the damage is more then $500 they have to report is no matter what to collusion center and fill up a report and draw the scene of accident etc. there is a certain period of time in which they have to report it or else (i dont really know what happens if they dont report it on time, so i cant say sry) but i do know for fact that they have to report $500 over accedent under certain time i think 48hrs or something like that.
Xscorpio is offline  
Old 21-Jul-2009, 01:05 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
RedLine Tuner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oshawa, ON
Posts: 234
well i was in oshawa and the closest collision cneter was in pickering so i called them and asked if there is one closer. they told me to go to the police station and report it. now i went there and tried to but the officer said it wasnt nessasary adn that as long as i exchanged information and put to claims with my insurance then im good. my friend was with me through this whole ordeal and witnessed everything. i think that the person that was infront of me was trying to make me pay for more damage then i caused but whatever. insurance will take care of damages. i just hope that my insurance wont go up by alot. on the plus side i have a reason to get a new set of headlights. XD
RedLine Tuner is offline  
Old 21-Jul-2009, 01:10 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Xscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: █♣█ Durham
Posts: 11,514
man why are you running around like this, you are not suppose to go to collusion center, the other car suppose to, they are the one with $500+ dmg. you dont have to report anything.

also if they are telling you to much money for the dmg, you should tell them to take car to your recommended bodyshop, if everything else fails then go to insurance.
Xscorpio is offline  
Old 21-Jul-2009, 01:12 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Xscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: █♣█ Durham
Posts: 11,514
so if there was no collusion report, and cop didnt show up at the scene of accident, and didnt write a report, then you can get away with without giving them a single penny. but the other party have your info so you are kinda screwed.
Xscorpio is offline  
Old 21-Jul-2009, 01:34 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 494
Originally Posted by Xscorpio View Post
also if they are telling you to much money for the dmg, you should tell them to take car to your recommended bodyshop, if everything else fails then go to insurance.
They can take it to any body shop they want. There's nothing legally requiring them to go to your choice or even their own insurance company's choice of body shop.
FiveO is offline  
Old 21-Jul-2009, 01:46 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Xscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: █♣█ Durham
Posts: 11,514
^yea thats what i am trying to say all along try all options, as i stated in one of my post lets hope these folks are cooperative
Xscorpio is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It Finally Happened!!!


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.