Maintenance oil changes, what fluids, tires etc...ask your general manitenance questions in here or look up the answer before you post.

ball joints?

Old 19-Apr-2005, 03:11 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_SaYjAiBaO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,961
ball joints?

how do you know when your ball joints go bad? i get a creeking kind of sound whenever i turn slowly or slowly come to a halt or slowly accel. i'm trying to figure out what the problem is because it sounds like my car is barely holding together! this is in the front left side btw.
imported_SaYjAiBaO is offline  
Old 22-Apr-2005, 11:48 AM
  #2  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the hammer
Posts: 7,038
check to see of the boot of the ball joint is ripped and if the grease has leaked out. Also jack the car up and pull on the tire from the top and bottom, and then pull on it from the left and right side. If there is excessive play while pulling on the tire then you know there is a problem.
zeeman is offline  
Old 22-Apr-2005, 03:21 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_SaYjAiBaO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,961
there's no play, i got all my bushings redone. and the cv boots are fine, nothing seems to be ripped. could it just be my struts that are causing the creaking noise?
imported_SaYjAiBaO is offline  
Old 23-Apr-2005, 01:28 AM
  #4  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the hammer
Posts: 7,038
try puttin a little grease on the sway bar "D" bracket busings or 'sway bar frame bushings' as i believe honda calls them. They tend to squeak....especially if they're polyurethane.
zeeman is offline  
Old 23-Apr-2005, 07:08 PM
  #5  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_SaYjAiBaO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Mississauga, Ontario
Posts: 1,961
mine's a cx. theres no sway bar nor any holes for them haha.
imported_SaYjAiBaO is offline  
Old 25-Apr-2005, 11:28 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: T Dot
Posts: 417
I have the same problem when I slow down, i get the noise....
eMoney is offline  
Old 04-May-2005, 05:23 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
imported_EK2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: T.Dot
Posts: 867
bump
i also have the same problem
imported_EK2NV is offline  
Old 20-May-2005, 06:44 PM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,431
lower ball joint
dingus88 is offline  
Old 24-May-2005, 01:53 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: TORONTO
Posts: 15
How hard it to change the lower balljoints? How much do people charge for this job? I think mine are gone.
ayaycee is offline  
Old 12-Oct-2009, 11:04 PM
  #10  
Member
 
9HatchSi3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 98
i just had both of my lower ball joints replaced
was 300
9HatchSi3 is offline  
Old 27-Feb-2010, 01:23 AM
  #11  
Member
 
jdm_416's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 78
whoa 300 is kinda steep for two balljoints...i dunno
jdm_416 is offline  
Old 27-Feb-2010, 09:06 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Jack up the car and place a flat pry bar or similar between the lower control arm and the knuckle at the ball joint and pry up motion and down motion.
Any movement indicates a worn ball and socket and the BJ should be replaced. If this is the case , you really do not want to roll the dice. if you drive the vehicle year round, doing lots of km. OEM parts I perfer as the M---g and others seem to fail sooner. Look at this one that was removed. This was after the the ball was pushed back into the socket. BallJointMovie.MPG - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
300 to remove and replace 2 front lower BJ,s parts taxes and labour is not excessive.
The drive axles must be removed from the knuckle, and most times the knuckle is removed from the car and the BJ pressed out. With the some skill and a bit of elbow grease (the ultimate persuader:-large heavy hammer) or the right BJ press it can be done on the car without removing the knuckle. Do a bit of a search around here. There is quite a bit of info on this topic.
nsxvtec is offline  
Old 27-Feb-2010, 09:55 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
rick10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,664
I recently had the same problem. My mechanic greased up the balljoints and the noise is gone. I also had the ball joints on the right side change for 350 ( lower and upper arm)
rick10 is offline  
Old 27-Feb-2010, 02:31 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 1,074
Originally Posted by nsxvtec View Post
Jack up the car and place a flat pry bar or similar between the lower control arm and the knuckle at the ball joint and pry up motion and down motion.
Any movement indicates a worn ball and socket and the BJ should be replaced. If this is the case , you really do not want to roll the dice. if you drive the vehicle year round, doing lots of km. OEM parts I perfer as the M---g and others seem to fail sooner. Look at this one that was removed. This was after the the ball was pushed back into the socket. BallJointMovie.MPG - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage
300 to remove and replace 2 front lower BJ,s parts taxes and labour is not excessive.
The drive axles must be removed from the knuckle, and most times the knuckle is removed from the car and the BJ pressed out. With the some skill and a bit of elbow grease (the ultimate persuader:-large heavy hammer) or the right BJ press it can be done on the car without removing the knuckle. Do a bit of a search around here. There is quite a bit of info on this topic.
^^ knows what hes talking about. i was just about to say the exact same thing pretty much. at the shop i work at i doit probably 3 or 4 times a day
JDMej1 is offline  
Old 27-Feb-2010, 03:10 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 73
Originally Posted by rick10 View Post
I recently had the same problem. My mechanic greased up the balljoints and the noise is gone.
By the time you hear the noises, the BJ is already damaged.
Inspecting and choosing to repack the BJ with grease is not the course of action I would want or expect from a competent mechanic.

The movie clip I posted was on a vehicle that was doing 120+ km on a major 400 series highway that morning. It came off in the parking lot before the vehicle could repeat the evening rush hour drive. Life threatening consequences from this type of failure are real.
If there is any hint of play or noise from the BJ change it or have it changed by a respectable technician.
nsxvtec is offline  
Old 27-Feb-2010, 03:41 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Waterloo, Ontario
Posts: 1,074
Originally Posted by nsxvtec View Post
By the time you hear the noises, the BJ is already damaged.
Inspecting and choosing to repack the BJ with grease is not the course of action I would want or expect from a competent mechanic.
yeah normally theyd replace it, repacking it is just not good enough..
JDMej1 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Joker
Suspension - Chassis
13
10-Oct-2009 11:05 PM
jogo
Acura - Honda
2
22-Jul-2008 01:14 PM
poseur
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
4
21-Apr-2004 09:47 PM
punkindrublic
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
10
27-Mar-2004 07:37 PM
phokus
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
8
13-Oct-2003 03:02 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ball joints?


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.