Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

oil

Old 17-Sep-2007, 04:08 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 37
oil

hey guys what kind of oil are you using?

i lived by Mobil 1 syn for years and just switched to amsoil full syn. whats better?
imported_killer_ssn is offline  
Old 17-Sep-2007, 08:48 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
VTEC_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Where ever my car is...
Posts: 1,393
amsoil, mobil1, and castrol syntec imo are the best you can buy.
VTEC_Thunder is offline  
Old 17-Sep-2007, 10:59 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 336
i use only Valvoline! full syn
polska_01 is offline  
Old 17-Sep-2007, 04:41 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 954
valvoline regular 5w30..

dont know why people run synthetics. Even when I do a customers boost project I always recommend 10w40 reg.

Civics last like 400,000km running regular oil, and last 200,000km+ without sludge buildup. Why people 'upgrade' is beyond me.
imported_chris_v2 is offline  
Old 17-Sep-2007, 08:00 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
imported_2join performance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 941
I have used Castrol Syntec to date, however next season I will be switching to Amsoil. 10w40 grade with a HAMP filter.
imported_2join performance is offline  
Old 17-Sep-2007, 10:01 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 336
better safe than sorry! and honestly i have the extra cash to boot so i buy full syn anyways! it is better than regular oil by far without getting technical we all know why! if you dont use google lol
polska_01 is offline  
Old 17-Sep-2007, 11:29 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Tyson09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: where honda's are born
Posts: 2,643
Originally posted by chris_v2
valvoline regular 5w30..

dont know why people run synthetics. Even when I do a customers boost project I always recommend 10w40 reg.

Civics last like 400,000km running regular oil, and last 200,000km+ without sludge buildup. Why people 'upgrade' is beyond me.
well said...its what i run.
Tyson09 is offline  
Old 18-Sep-2007, 04:07 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Cynikal.Mindset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23,880
whatever is on sale

before synthetic oil people used dino oil and cars lasted forever...good enough for me
Cynikal.Mindset is offline  
Old 18-Sep-2007, 07:26 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 954
Originally posted by polska_01
better safe than sorry!

safe than sorry? For what? Running the oil that the manufacter recommends to run? I'm not going to argue with your decision to run syn. but don't think that conventional oil is bad for your motor. The only way I can possibly see myself use synthetic is if I was heavily into tracking days.. even then, I think I would get an oil cooler before doing the switch.
imported_chris_v2 is offline  
Old 18-Sep-2007, 10:52 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
VTEC_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Where ever my car is...
Posts: 1,393
Originally posted by chris_v2



safe than sorry? For what? Running the oil that the manufacter recommends to run? I'm not going to argue with your decision to run syn. but don't think that conventional oil is bad for your motor. The only way I can possibly see myself use synthetic is if I was heavily into tracking days.. even then, I think I would get an oil cooler before doing the switch.
Regular oil is not 'bad' for your engine...but full synthetic oils are better. They do the same job as regular oil only they do it better. they last longer and endure more severe conditions for longer periods of time.
VTEC_Thunder is offline  
Old 18-Sep-2007, 11:48 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 336
I never said there bad at all! synthetics are better so i buy it i do spend money on my car and quit a bit that is. So i dont mind buying full syn im not cutting up people who use regular oil by all means go ahead! cars lasted a very long time on conventional before synthetic was made
polska_01 is offline  
Old 18-Sep-2007, 12:52 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
VTEC_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Where ever my car is...
Posts: 1,393
^^ True engines lasted a long time on dino oil. But they had to change that oil alot more often.
VTEC_Thunder is offline  
Old 18-Sep-2007, 11:15 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario
Posts: 524
Synthetic oil should go in vehicles that REQUIRE synthetic oil. Synthetic oil cars run tighter bearing clearances due to the molecular structure of synthetic oil. It has smaller molecules that fit in those tight spaces. When you have motors that are meant to run on regular oil, the bearing clearances are a bit looser. Oil is only good for 5000km i dont care what kind it is. Ive pulled many motors that have run nothing but synthetic and many motors that customers have done regular oil changes and you CANNOT tell the difference. But hey, if somebody makes a prety bottle and says youll make more power and blah blah blah any rice boy here is going to get technical on what they have no clue about. So waste your money on synthetic oil if you want, but unless you own a Ferrari, corvette or any car where the oil cap tells you put synthetic in it; dont waste your money.
1sloweg is offline  
Old 19-Sep-2007, 07:29 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 954
Originally posted by 1sloweg
Synthetic oil should go in vehicles that REQUIRE synthetic oil. Synthetic oil cars run tighter bearing clearances due to the molecular structure of synthetic oil. It has smaller molecules that fit in those tight spaces. When you have motors that are meant to run on regular oil, the bearing clearances are a bit looser. Oil is only good for 5000km i dont care what kind it is. Ive pulled many motors that have run nothing but synthetic and many motors that customers have done regular oil changes and you CANNOT tell the difference. But hey, if somebody makes a prety bottle and says youll make more power and blah blah blah any rice boy here is going to get technical on what they have no clue about. So waste your money on synthetic oil if you want, but unless you own a Ferrari, corvette or any car where the oil cap tells you put synthetic in it; dont waste your money.
Funny how the educated guys always agree...
imported_chris_v2 is offline  
Old 19-Sep-2007, 10:57 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Cynikal.Mindset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23,880
canola oil ftw!!!
Cynikal.Mindset is offline  
Old 20-Sep-2007, 01:46 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
VTEC_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Where ever my car is...
Posts: 1,393
Originally posted by 1sloweg
Synthetic oil should go in vehicles that REQUIRE synthetic oil. Synthetic oil cars run tighter bearing clearances due to the molecular structure of synthetic oil. It has smaller molecules that fit in those tight spaces. When you have motors that are meant to run on regular oil, the bearing clearances are a bit looser. Oil is only good for 5000km i dont care what kind it is. Ive pulled many motors that have run nothing but synthetic and many motors that customers have done regular oil changes and you CANNOT tell the difference. But hey, if somebody makes a prety bottle and says youll make more power and blah blah blah any rice boy here is going to get technical on what they have no clue about. So waste your money on synthetic oil if you want, but unless you own a Ferrari, corvette or any car where the oil cap tells you put synthetic in it; dont waste your money.
Synthetic oils are not a scam. I don't know why you keep pushing that on everyone. Use what ever oil you want.

Run two similar engines, one on dino oil and the other on full synthetic as long as they can at wide open throttle and see which one blows first.

I do ALOT of driving and I can't afford to do an oil change every month or two...so I use full synthetic and go twice as far and the oil comes out looking great at 8000 to 10,000kms. I tried it with regular oil when I first bought my car and it looked like black paint after 6000kms.

As I said before, there is nothing wrong with normal oil if you change it regularly. I have my reasons for using full synthetic. Simple as that.
VTEC_Thunder is offline  
Old 20-Sep-2007, 02:21 PM
  #17  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 954
Originally posted by VTEC_Thunder
Run two similar engines, one on dino oil and the other on full synthetic as long as they can at wide open throttle and see which one blows first.
okay.. give me the keys to your car. I'll try it out.

I dont even see a point in posting that? Who's going to try that? What makes you think synthetic will last longer?
imported_chris_v2 is offline  
Old 20-Sep-2007, 02:29 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Photographer's Corner
Posts: 13,422
useless bickering....run what you like

quaker state is good too
szuberi is offline  
Old 20-Sep-2007, 03:41 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
VTEC_Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Where ever my car is...
Posts: 1,393
Originally posted by chris_v2


okay.. give me the keys to your car. I'll try it out.

I dont even see a point in posting that? Who's going to try that? What makes you think synthetic will last longer?
I posted it as an idea of how to test the different oils, which has been done btw. (the synthetic lasted considerably longer).

Did you not read what else I wrote??? I used regular oil when I first bought my car and after 6000km's the oil looked like shat. I switched to Mobil 1 and after 8000km's it still looked great (still useful).

To me, that tells me full synthetic lasts longer.

Maybe you found different in your car, I don't know. Neither do I care.

I'm just saying synthetic is better for my application.

Use what ever oil you want.
VTEC_Thunder is offline  
Old 20-Sep-2007, 04:24 PM
  #20  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 209
Walmart oil FTW, use it in my car and jeep, change every 3000km.
imported_honda1b6a is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.