Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

need new tires

Old 08-Jul-2007, 09:15 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 196
need new tires

currently got '00 sir rims with 195.55.15 tires. thinking of of going higher profile like 60 or 65 instead of 55. my ride is not lowered at all and is a 2k 4d civic. how will this affect my rims/ride? and finally, where to get good prices on tires? thinking of canadian tire with those michelins that's on sale now.....any suggestions? thanks.
imported_8FUN8CVC is offline  
Old 16-Jul-2007, 05:56 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
ELGUY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 415
Id go with whatever the car is suited for. I think 195-55-15 is your size. Dont go higher.
ELGUY is offline  
Old 16-Jul-2007, 06:35 PM
  #3  
Registered User
 
imported_phuviano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 807
195/55/15 is not the correct size, but its not that much off. The correct size is 195/60/15 or 185/65/15.

Go with a thicker profile, it'll give you a better ride.
imported_phuviano is offline  
Old 17-Jul-2007, 12:08 PM
  #4  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
195/55/15 is the OEM tire size on the 99-00 SiR.

To the O/P, if you go with a higher sidewall profile, it may effect your speedometer and odometer slightly, but the car may ride slightky softer. Generally, the lower the profile, the stiffer the ride. A taller tire may not look right either.

Even tires on sale at C-T might not be worth the cost. Try Tires23. They have excellent prices.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 19-Jul-2007, 12:50 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
1sykcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tdot
Posts: 1,341
Originally posted by phuviano
195/55/15 is not the correct size, but its not that much off. The correct size is 195/60/15 or 185/65/15.

Go with a thicker profile, it'll give you a better ride.
that is not the correct size.
correct size is either 185//65/14 for lower trim models or as the other guys stated 195/55/15 is the oem size for sir.
1sykcoupe is offline  
Old 19-Jul-2007, 04:58 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 13
keep the size the way they are.i got sir rims on my 4 door civic.i got kuhmo tires last year.$390 cash installed.wheels direct mccowan and sheppard.
jvcivic is offline  
Old 19-Jul-2007, 11:29 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 196
i find 195/55's kinda bumpy, so going for 60's.
imported_8FUN8CVC is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2007, 12:50 AM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 52
I just bought falken 512 from tires23 on sir rims and the size was 205/50/15...
imported_SiR_Gurl is offline  
Old 20-Jul-2007, 10:06 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
imported_phuviano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 807
Originally posted by 1sykcoupe


that is not the correct size.
correct size is either 185//65/14 for lower trim models or as the other guys stated 195/55/15 is the oem size for sir.
Umm.. he's got an 04. I have an 04. Plus he can't get 185/65/14 because that's a 14 inch tire. He was asking about tires on a 15 inch SIR rim. 14 inch tires won't fit on a 15 inch rim.

The stock 15 inch tire size on an 04 is 195/60/15, not 195/55/15.

I was never talking about the stock size for the SIR. He drives an 04, stock size for the SIR is irrelevant.
imported_phuviano is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 12:01 AM
  #10  
LDX
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 175
Originally posted by 1sykcoupe


that is not the correct size.
correct size is either 185//65/14 for lower trim models or as the other guys stated 195/55/15 is the oem size for sir.
I hope you know the 6th and 7th have different stock tire sizes?
LDX is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 01:27 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
1sykcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: tdot
Posts: 1,341
He clearly said he drives a 2000 civic.
reading owns u
1sykcoupe is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 07:39 PM
  #12  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 336
lol the correct tire size is 195/55-15 thats OEM 2000 civic SIR and were the hell did u get 04'?
polska_01 is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 08:10 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
fingolfin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,505
wheels direct has good prices on tires....

PAY CASH!!! NO TAX
fingolfin is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 08:19 PM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 196
got a quote for these bridgestone turanza ls-t for $99/each+tax. pretty good deal. read some really good results for these and they're made in Japan!!! will probably go for these.
imported_8FUN8CVC is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 10:33 PM
  #15  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Originally posted by 8FUN8CVC
got a quote for these bridgestone turanza ls-t for $99/each+tax. pretty good deal. read some really good results for these and they're made in Japan!!! will probably go for these.
The Turanza tires came stock on my 06 Civic and I thought they sucked. I gave them away actually. There performed very poorly in the rain and snow, but they did wear ok and they were quiet on the highway.

For that price you could get a good quality all-season performance tire like the Falken Ziex 512. I paid $500 for my set and they are 17". Call Tires23 for a quote.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 23-Jul-2007, 11:46 PM
  #16  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 196
Originally posted by DumbasSi

The Turanza tires came stock on my 06 Civic and I thought they sucked. I gave them away actually. There performed very poorly in the rain and snow, but they did wear ok and they were quiet on the highway.

For that price you could get a good quality all-season performance tire like the Falken Ziex 512. I paid $500 for my set and they are 17". Call Tires23 for a quote.

first up, which turanza specific model came with your car? there's like 11 turanza models or so.
secondly, it's factory tires. all factory tires are not that great or will not last as long.

performance tires look great and probably do really well in dry and well in wet but tread life is not as great tho. i want something that has good tread life and atleast adequate in winter. don't think performance tires can handle winter that well.
imported_8FUN8CVC is offline  
Old 24-Jul-2007, 08:53 PM
  #17  
-- site donator --
 
DumbasSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,647
Originally posted by 8FUN8CVC



first up, which turanza specific model came with your car? there's like 11 turanza models or so.
secondly, it's factory tires. all factory tires are not that great or will not last as long.

performance tires look great and probably do really well in dry and well in wet but tread life is not as great tho. i want something that has good tread life and atleast adequate in winter. don't think performance tires can handle winter that well.
I dont remeber exactly what model they were, but I didnt like them. I mentioned the Falkens becuase they are an all season tire and have been very good so far. Im just saying that for the money, there are better tires out there then the Turanza.

Oh, and I would use a separate for the winter. Even a very high quality all-season tire will suck in the snow compared to a dedicated snow tire.
DumbasSi is offline  
Old 25-Jul-2007, 08:39 AM
  #18  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 196
i gotta agree those falkens are pretty good deal but like i said i wanted something good for all year round. of course no all seasons are better than winters for the winter. i don't use winters, so all seasons is the way to go for me.
imported_8FUN8CVC is offline  
Old 25-Jul-2007, 12:52 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
imported_starboy869's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CFB Petawawa
Posts: 2,207
You should check out USA pricing for tires. My dad need tires for his camery and here in Canada we got a price quote of $600 + tax. Checked out the states for the same brand/model and it was around $320US out the door installed. With the exchange rate being what 95% now? Well worth the coin IMO.
imported_starboy869 is offline  
Old 25-Jul-2007, 07:05 PM
  #20  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 196
Originally posted by starboy869
You should check out USA pricing for tires. My dad need tires for his camery and here in Canada we got a price quote of $600 + tax. Checked out the states for the same brand/model and it was around $320US out the door installed. With the exchange rate being what 95% now? Well worth the coin IMO.

ya i heard too. good if you have the time. especially with the exchange rate now, definitely worth it tho. good point.
imported_8FUN8CVC is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need new tires


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.