Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

Has anyone swapped in a B18B?

Old 04-Aug-2006, 10:30 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 83
Has anyone swapped in a B18B?

Just wondering if anyone has swapped a B18B into their Civic? How difficult is it and what parts would I need?

I have a '96 Si daily driver and was considering swapping in a B18B if my D16y8 ever dies on me. I'm not looking for anything crazy performance wise and I need this thing to last me for at least 4 more years. I figure for a few hundred more it would be worth it for the extra "fun".

Thanks.
imported_curlybandit is offline  
Old 04-Aug-2006, 10:42 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 18,370
Assuming you get the motor/transmission/shift linkage/axles as a package, then you will need:

-Conversion harness if you want to run OBD1 ECU
-OBD1 ECU (see above)
-SiR rear transmission mount (the black mount)
-Use your own engine harness
-SiR radiator (you could use D16 one, but the upper hose will be clamped down because the diameter is smaller on D16)
-SiR Fuel line (D16 is a little short for it, it connects, but it will be rather tight)
-Another B series mount from SiR, I think.

Swap is not hard. An experienced mechanic should be able to able to finish it within a weekend and have it on the road running.
Nova_Dust is offline  
Old 04-Aug-2006, 11:26 AM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 83
Thanks for the help.

Any suggestions you'd like to make if my engine does ever crap out on me? I've been doing a LOT of research and forum reading on swaps and have been looking at other options too.

I'd be looking for something that would make for a good daily driver, but increase the "fun factor" of my sled without busting the bank (.....stupid tuition..... )

I've tossed around the idea of maybe grabbing another D16y8 but building it for boost. I've read a lot of stuff about a boosted D and know that without going crazy, you can have a reliable daily driver with more or less stock internals. I could honestly care less for 200whp, but something more than 127/107 at the crank would be ncie.

I've even considered a B16A swap, but I'm not too sure if it would be worth it since boosting a D can get me the similar numbers for less.

Of course the other option is grabbing the B18B. For a few hundred extra I get a motor that has 15hp and 20tq more stock. And from what I've read, the B18B takes pretty well to mods and boost. Hmmm.... no vtec... Oh well.....
imported_curlybandit is offline  
Old 04-Aug-2006, 11:27 AM
  #4  
Registered User
 
imported_mugen_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,587
The b18b is a great plaform, harder to squeeze power out of the engine but you can put down the 142whp easier and better with a non-ls tranny.

like nova said, you need to have:

-the engine driver side bracket/mount
-the rear subframe bracket(mount stays the same)
-passanger side upper tranny b-series mount.

then you can buy the side torque mounts if you want them.

-You will need an integra(90-00) throttle cable
-integra axles and make sure you get the corresponding year half-shaft(intermediate shaft) so that the axles can fit properly.
-**** linkage from an 94+ integra.(90-93) shift linkage sits short so your shifter will be positioned strangely.

that's pretty much all you need within these 2 posts.

good luck
imported_mugen_r is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 09:06 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
imported_mikepasini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: mississauga
Posts: 1,607
that motor will pull a lot harder in your hatch than your d16 for sure. but if you want more power, you can just boost your d16 right now... some guy is selling a kit, well there are like two for sale... from like 600-800 in the for sale section. that will give you more hp for sure than you have now, but also way more torque.
imported_mikepasini is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 10:31 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,176
sounds like a greddy kit would be perfect for you.

When your motor goes.. grab a z6 with good compression numbers.. and buy a greddy kit, ditch the e-manage and chip a p28 ecu. The only problem with boost, is that things can go wrong, and normally do, more maintence, and it is really really addicting. You always want more boost.
chris_si98 is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 12:37 PM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Capo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North York/Oshawa
Posts: 469
Originally posted by mugen_r
The b18b is a great plaform, harder to squeeze power out of the engine but you can put down the 142whp easier and better with a non-ls tranny.

like nova said, you need to have:

-the engine driver side bracket/mount
-the rear subframe bracket(mount stays the same)
-passanger side upper tranny b-series mount.

then you can buy the side torque mounts if you want them.

-You will need an integra(90-00) throttle cable
-integra axles and make sure you get the corresponding year half-shaft(intermediate shaft) so that the axles can fit properly.
-**** linkage from an 94+ integra.(90-93) shift linkage sits short so your shifter will be positioned strangely.

that's pretty much all you need within these 2 posts.

good luck
If you just want to have fun go with a b18b with a GSR transmission unless your planning on going boost in which case an ls tranny would be good.

For the engine mounts if your car is already manual then you need these:

-Engine Driver side post mount (11910-P30-000)
-Post Bolts for the drivers side mount ( 90041-P01-000 x 2)
-Rear Engine "T" Bracket (50827-S04-N10)

If your car is already manual you do not need the transmission upper mount as they are the same.
Capo is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 12:47 PM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 83
Yeah the car is manual.....

As far as boosting my D16 right now, I was VERY close to doing this summer (had the cash ready to go) but after doing some research and getting some info, I decided to hold off on this engine because it is consuming a bit of oil..... It has just over 240,000 km's on it, and I figure it might not be worth it. The last thing I want is to put the turbo on and then blow my motor. I figure I should probably get a compression test done anyways, cause I still haven't thrown out the idea of boosting my D

I think my best options are either boosting my D now (and pray it doesn't blow...), wait 'till it dies and pick up another D and boost that (with much less km's, or a decent rebuild), or get the B18B (but by the sounds of things this requires a lot more modification that simply boosting another D and probably costs the same if not a little more...)

Decision, decisions.....
imported_curlybandit is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 08:58 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
imported_GOT_RICED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DURHAM REGION
Posts: 395
Originally posted by mugen_r


-You will need an integra(90-00) throttle cable
not actually true........can get away with using the stock one.
imported_GOT_RICED is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 09:19 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
imported_mugen_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,587
Originally posted by GOT_RICED


not actually true........can get away with using the stock one.

but it's just a lot easier to go to the wreckers and pull one off a da integra and use.
imported_mugen_r is offline  
Old 05-Aug-2006, 11:05 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 161
Originally posted by mugen_r



but it's just a lot easier to go to the wreckers and pull one off a da integra and use.
I dont think u know what yur talking about, he has an si, throttle cable will bolt up no problems.
markpa2 is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 12:43 AM
  #12  
Registered User
 
imported_GOT_RICED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DURHAM REGION
Posts: 395
Originally posted by mugen_r



but it's just a lot easier to go to the wreckers and pull one off a da integra and use.
hey man i got a CX model and i was able to use my stock throttle cable.....but hey if you want to waste your money go right ahead..better yet you can buy mine, i have a brand new OEM integra throttle cable still in the package.
imported_GOT_RICED is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 01:16 AM
  #13  
Registered User
 
imported_mugen_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: London, Ontario
Posts: 1,587
Originally posted by markpa2

I dont think u know what yur talking about, he has an si, throttle cable will bolt up no problems.
no need to be a dick, i was just pointing out what we came across when swapping the engines.


Originally posted by GOT_RICED


hey man i got a CX model and i was able to use my stock throttle cable.....but hey if you want to waste your money go right ahead..better yet you can buy mine, i have a brand new OEM integra throttle cable still in the package.

nah, i can get them all day for low cost anyways, thanks for the offer

maybe on the ek it's different but mine was too short and wouldn't work unless we would fab up a small bracket. this is on an 92-95 eg anyways.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337596

and considering even hasport tells you to use a integra throttle cable, any 90-00 will work anyways.

http://www.hasport.com/Tech/Installs...%20bseries.htm

if you can use your stock d-series, then go ahead
imported_mugen_r is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 01:29 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
imported_GOT_RICED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DURHAM REGION
Posts: 395
Originally posted by mugen_r


maybe on the ek it's different but mine was too short and wouldn't work unless we would fab up a small bracket. this is on an 92-95 eg anyways.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1337596

and considering even hasport tells you to use a integra throttle cable, any 90-00 will work anyways.

http://www.hasport.com/Tech/Installs...%20bseries.htm

if you can use your stock d-series, then go ahead

that's what i thought that's why i bought one from the dealer but luckily my stock one fit.
imported_GOT_RICED is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 01:30 AM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: London
Posts: 107
Originally posted by markpa2

I dont think u know what yur talking about, he has an si, throttle cable will bolt up no problems.
Mugen_r and I go a long way back, we have done countless swaps and rebuilds, NO D series EG throttle cable will work on a B series, since the mounting points for the bracket are different on the intake manifold, one is closer to the throttle body than the other.

go to the wreckers and see next time youre there.

we tried this before with different manifolds and cables and for any B series swap you need an integra cable.

unless you make a long *** aluminum bracket to extend to the D series cable, sure you could do that but that requires ****ing around, and who wants to **** around right?

To the Original poster, PM me or Mugen_r we have done many B series swaps and can guide you the right way without cutting corners.
Xgenturbo is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 02:35 AM
  #16  
Registered User
 
imported_GOT_RICED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: DURHAM REGION
Posts: 395
Originally posted by Xgenturbo


Mugen_r and I go a long way back, we have done countless swaps and rebuilds, NO D series EG throttle cable will work on a B series, since the mounting points for the bracket are different on the intake manifold, one is closer to the throttle body than the other.

go to the wreckers and see next time youre there.

we tried this before with different manifolds and cables and for any B series swap you need an integra cable.

unless you make a long *** aluminum bracket to extend to the D series cable, sure you could do that but that requires ****ing around, and who wants to **** around right?

To the Original poster, PM me or Mugen_r we have done many B series swaps and can guide you the right way without cutting corners.

....from what i recall reading the original poster's question was for an Ek not an EG. so keep up the countless swaps and rebuilds on your EG.

........i was talking about EK's and regardless i've done swaps on EG with a B16 and an EK with a B18 and B20 with using the stock throttle cable without ****ing around with the bracket.........but what do i know your the expert with your countless swaps and rebuilds. whatever that means?

....like i said before if you like i can sell you the one i bought from the dealer...........no need to say no more.......just pm me whenever you want to waste your money, i'd be glad to sell it to you.
imported_GOT_RICED is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 03:33 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Durham Region
Posts: 161
This site is useless interms of actual performance topics/swaps my advice go to honda-tech.com and search on there.
GL
markpa2 is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 10:26 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,176
lol oh man...
chris_si98 is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 07:36 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
imported_InVaDeR_HB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 795
Originally posted by markpa2
This site is useless interms of actual performance topics/swaps my advice go to honda-tech.com and search on there.
GL
AHMEN!!!! your wasting your time here, theres a handful of people here who actually do there own work and know what there talking about. Then everyone else seems to fall into 1 of 2 other categories too poor to afford to mod/swap etc and learn about cars with hands on experience, or the ones who pay somone to do everything inturn knowing nothing.

Sorry just had to vent, but its true!
imported_InVaDeR_HB is offline  
Old 06-Aug-2006, 09:59 PM
  #20  
Registered User
 
imported_t_dot_SiR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: North York, Toronto-Downtown, London
Posts: 2,316
i will just agree that the stock ek throttle cable works on the bseries... EG-wise, i'm zipping my mouth =)
imported_t_dot_SiR is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone swapped in a B18B?


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.