Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

ecu and chip problem

Old 09-Apr-2005, 11:58 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 533
ecu and chip problem

so i did the dyno test on my hatch todayand then i decided to do another dyno run with my different chip
the problem was the ignition was off but the battery was hooked up......and i swapped the chip, once we turned the car back on, the engine light came on and and my car was idling strange plus it was losing power at 4000rpm and higher


the question is....what procedure did i need to take to swap chips

and why did the chip swap cause problems??

is my car running too rich or too lean now?
my other chips have the same problem...engine check is on and car idles strange


any helpp is appreciated...thanks
bronx is offline  
Old 10-Apr-2005, 06:04 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
imported_Cablerat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pickering
Posts: 3,984
Well you should have everything disconnected before removing ECUs and/or Chips..

Pull the ECU fuse frmo the fuse panel under the hood.
Plug the new ecu in.
Turn the car on and let it run for a few mins, ecu needs to "learn" the car. If the check engine light is on, check what codes it's throwing..

I don't know what the exact procedure is, but I've never had any problems. If your swapping chips, please, unplug the ecu completely from the harnesses before removing and installation any chips..
imported_Cablerat is offline  
Old 10-Apr-2005, 11:23 PM
  #3  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 533
Originally posted by Cablerat
Well you should have everything disconnected before removing ECUs and/or Chips..

Pull the ECU fuse frmo the fuse panel under the hood.
Plug the new ecu in.
Turn the car on and let it run for a few mins, ecu needs to "learn" the car. If the check engine light is on, check what codes it's throwing..

I don't know what the exact procedure is, but I've never had any problems. If your swapping chips, please, unplug the ecu completely from the harnesses before removing and installation any chips..
Thanks man....so you're saying that my ECU is fried now and no good anymore?

I guess i gotta get a new p28 ecu....
bronx is offline  
Old 10-Apr-2005, 11:49 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 205
Originally posted by Cablerat
Well you should have everything disconnected before removing ECUs and/or Chips..

Pull the ECU fuse frmo the fuse panel under the hood.
Plug the new ecu in.


If your swapping chips, please, unplug the ecu completely from the harnesses before removing and installation any chips..
Dude.. He didnt swap ECU's and you dont have to disconnect anything before swapping ECU's or chips.. It dosent matter at all. Really..........


Okay.. Now to the problem. While whatever was on that chip that you put in there is garbage, throw it away or put a new program on it, and Run the chip your originally had in there.

Your P28 Is fine
WayFastWhitie is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2005, 07:40 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
imported_Cablerat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pickering
Posts: 3,984
Originally posted by bronx


Thanks man....so you're saying that my ECU is fried now and no good anymore?

I guess i gotta get a new p28 ecu....
woo I never said your ECU is fried..
imported_Cablerat is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2005, 08:20 AM
  #6  
Registered User
 
imported_gatherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: on a race track
Posts: 17,846
there is a constant power supply to the ECU for the sake of memory storage. now you are suppose to disconnect the ecu before changing chips it's mostlikely the chip is damaged...
imported_gatherer is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2005, 05:42 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 533
i went to my mechanic.....he tried his p28 ecu and it worked fine


so i think my ecu is actually fried...cuz no other chips worked on the old ecu


he said i should have disconnected the ecu wires and grounded my hand when changing chips
bronx is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2005, 09:50 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
imported_Cablerat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Pickering
Posts: 3,984
Originally posted by bronx
i went to my mechanic.....he tried his p28 ecu and it worked fine


so i think my ecu is actually fried...cuz no other chips worked on the old ecu


he said i should have disconnected the ecu wires and grounded my hand when changing chips
Wanna give me your fried P28?
imported_Cablerat is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2005, 07:11 PM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 533
my mechanic took the fried ecu after giving me a good one

sorry
bronx is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
imported_Rfan
Honda Civic (+ other) Parts/Accessories for Sale or Trade
3
18-Sep-2007 12:51 PM
1ofAkind
Custom Honda Civic Exterior - Lighting
15
04-Jul-2005 09:23 AM
jasperl
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
2
20-Jun-2002 09:50 AM
shsu
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
7
04-May-2002 02:53 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ecu and chip problem


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.