Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

coilover question

Old 11-Apr-2007, 12:15 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
coilover question

OK so i was lowering my car today and the weird thing was the the drive side coilover was lowered almost all the way down and the Passenger side was lowered say a big below the half way mark and it sits about the same hight why is that?? and i can't seem to get the back to even out cuase it has the same issue??
oh yea i have Megan coilovers
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2007, 12:19 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 86
maybe u get the bad coilovers dude i encounterred onetime that using use coilovers from other car is no good the spring is to stress it cannot handle the weight of both side maybe thats why that is my point of view
imported_mikel_raider is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2007, 12:23 PM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 532
did you take it for a drive yet and do some hard corners?
imported_Kingjames1983 is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2007, 09:22 PM
  #4  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
Originally posted by mikel_raider
maybe u get the bad coilovers dude i encounterred onetime that using use coilovers from other car is no good the spring is to stress it cannot handle the weight of both side maybe thats why that is my point of view
Nope i got them new..its only like 6 months old or less not even a year yet....

Originally posted by Kingjames1983
did you take it for a drive yet and do some hard corners?
Yes i took it for a spin but no hard cornering

anyone else know why this could be happening?
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 11-Apr-2007, 10:01 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
DK668's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Markham, Ontario
Posts: 392
^^^ I have the same thing lol.

I give up adjusting ... as long as they sit even, i'm happy.
DK668 is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 09:52 AM
  #6  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
Originally posted by DK668
^^^ I have the same thing lol.

I give up adjusting ... as long as they sit even, i'm happy.
hey could you get your back to lower closer to the ground or did you lower your sleeves all the way but it still sits pretty high up?
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 10:40 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 532
sometimes they dont sit right... thats why I asked about the hard cornering. If you here a bang it's usually the coil over seating itself properly and therefore your car will be uneven or even in your case.
just a suggestion.
imported_Kingjames1983 is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 10:53 AM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
Originally posted by Kingjames1983
sometimes they dont sit right... thats why I asked about the hard cornering. If you here a bang it's usually the coil over seating itself properly and therefore your car will be uneven or even in your case.
just a suggestion.
lol hmm aite i'll give that a try
Thanks
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 04:20 PM
  #9  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (2)
 
bbarbulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: not Toronto
Posts: 27,687
you mix up the front and back springs, so in the front you have one front, one rear, and in the rear you have one rear and one front.

that's the only way I can explain it.
bbarbulo is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 06:22 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Oldspower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 599
^^ thats what i was thinking. The one that looks more heavy duty and should have the same spacing of coil (at least for springs alone) should be your fronts. Rears look progressive. Fronts will always be more stiff than rears because of all the extra weight, so perhaps the rear is sitting high because you have a front in it, and the one front is compressing too much because you have a rear in it,.
Oldspower is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 09:14 PM
  #11  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
Originally posted by bbarbulo
you mix up the front and back springs, so in the front you have one front, one rear, and in the rear you have one rear and one front.

that's the only way I can explain it.
Oh really now lol... arn't the megan ones all the same?? like i just got the sleeves not the entire megan coilover

but yea never thought of that..cool ima check it out

Thanks

Dave
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 10:24 PM
  #12  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (2)
 
bbarbulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: not Toronto
Posts: 27,687
no, the 4 springs are not the same. that'll fix ur problem...
bbarbulo is offline  
Old 12-Apr-2007, 11:44 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Oldspower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 599
oh wow, shoulda read more carefully, haha sorry for repeating you bbarbulo. at least we're on the same track for this one.
Oldspower is offline  
Old 13-Apr-2007, 12:32 PM
  #14  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
Originally posted by bbarbulo
no, the 4 springs are not the same. that'll fix ur problem...
Hmm from what i found out the megan springs i have its 400F and 350R woth that 50 make a diff??
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 13-Apr-2007, 02:43 PM
  #15  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (2)
 
bbarbulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: not Toronto
Posts: 27,687
not just the rate, the length of the spring is different as well. switch them.
bbarbulo is offline  
Old 13-Apr-2007, 06:50 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 954
Originally posted by Pyro


Hmm from what i found out the megan springs i have its 400F and 350R woth that 50 make a diff??
yes.
imported_chris_v2 is offline  
Old 13-Apr-2007, 06:54 PM
  #17  
Registered User
 
imported_gatherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: on a race track
Posts: 17,846
ohhh my god I can't believe I just read all that and didn't see the right answer ...

first assuming the springs are in the right spot (front and back on both sides)

the only answer I can give you is weight distribution. my car sits fairly level all round but it's not all set at the same place... why? weight. it's all about the weight some spots take more weight then other spots....
imported_gatherer is offline  
Old 13-Apr-2007, 09:52 PM
  #18  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
imported_Pyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 226
Originally posted by gatherer
ohhh my god I can't believe I just read all that and didn't see the right answer ...

first assuming the springs are in the right spot (front and back on both sides)

the only answer I can give you is weight distribution. my car sits fairly level all round but it's not all set at the same place... why? weight. it's all about the weight some spots take more weight then other spots....
really now?? so maybe i don't have to change it and pay some dude like 100 or so to do it..cool

but would it effect the shock or the ride or anything if its not all set at the same place?? i just don't wanna blow/mess anything up..
imported_Pyro is offline  
Old 13-Apr-2007, 10:47 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 532
change them yourself now... as long as you are somewhat decent at figuring some **** out on your own. All the bolts are already loose so it should be easy to do yourself. There is a DIY on this site but if you deside to do it yourself which is fairly easy, use anti seaze on the bolts.
PS, if your using stock struts keep the car fairly high or your gonna blow them quickly
imported_Kingjames1983 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
imported_BLKSHEEP
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
11
09-Jan-2006 02:35 PM
red90dx
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
12
30-Jan-2004 09:07 PM
imported_SedanBoy
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
12
26-Aug-2003 12:23 PM
imported_Si_Guy
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
5
04-Aug-2003 08:39 PM
Legacy73
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
24
19-Apr-2002 12:40 AM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coilover question


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.