Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

Civic 1999 si ....

Old 29-May-2007, 11:52 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 32
Civic 1999 si ....

i recently bought my civic 99 si coupe....and i dont feel the Vtech kicking in at all....was wondering what could be the problem???

tnx alot!!!
deucyy is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 12:07 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
imported_Team Rukus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Moon
Posts: 8,921
its your SOHC motor
LOL
imported_Team Rukus is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 12:12 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 520
going from a SOHC Vtec motor to a DOHC Vtec motor TBH I don't really "Feel" the vtec kick in on a stock motor, more so I hear it :P and on the SOHC VTEC motor I Couldn't even hear it^^
imported_bananax is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 01:10 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Cynikal.Mindset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23,880
if u cant feel your vtec kick in on a dohc motor your motor sucks haha...now hearing it is another story, I dont hear mine cuz my car still rocks the stock intake in all its glory
Cynikal.Mindset is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 01:13 AM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 520
Originally posted by Cynikal.Mindset
if u cant feel your vtec kick in on a dohc motor your motor sucks haha...now hearing it is another story, I dont hear mine cuz my car still rocks the stock intake in all its glory
really? mine still has the stock intake too. I could hear it even with the stock filter, a bit more after i dropped in the K&N(old one is dirty)
Nothing compared to what an intake would produce though

REally I can't feel it kick in , I dont think you should be able to either since on a dyno chart it just keeps the TQ-smooth and the HP going up at the same rate =p
imported_bananax is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 01:38 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Cynikal.Mindset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23,880
at 5600rpm my tach snaps and the car boogies hard...I can hear a faint difference in engine tone and for sure feel it
Cynikal.Mindset is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 01:44 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 520
Originally posted by Cynikal.Mindset
at 5600rpm my tach snaps and the car boogies hard...I can hear a faint difference in engine tone and for sure feel it
what engine do you have :P? and is it stock(well intake is)

maybe I'm just fat
imported_bananax is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 02:41 AM
  #8  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 32
i just noticed my air filter is a little cloged , im gonna have it replaced with another filter.....anyone knows where can i get a deal on a cold air intake for my civic 99 si coupe??? tnx
deucyy is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 02:47 AM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 520
Originally posted by deucyy
i just noticed my air filter is a little cloged , im gonna have it replaced with another filter.....anyone knows where can i get a deal on a cold air intake for my civic 99 si coupe??? tnx
i know this one!

check the affiliates!!!
imported_bananax is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 03:13 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Cynikal.Mindset's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 23,880
Originally posted by bananax


what engine do you have :P? and is it stock(well intake is)

maybe I'm just fat
haha...if anybody is fat its more likely I...I'm rockin a b17 in anycase...and yes, check the affiliates for all your aftermarket needs
Cynikal.Mindset is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 04:41 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
imported_Rayz_si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 581
get an intake from Ebay, check your oil levels and coolant levels also.
imported_Rayz_si is offline  
Old 30-May-2007, 10:19 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Photographer's Corner
Posts: 13,422
why do honda owners talk like they drive high performance cars all the time...hahah
szuberi is offline  
Old 02-Jun-2007, 04:16 PM
  #13  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15
I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but i have a 92 civic si hatch. As for hearing the vtec, what exactly does it sound like? I'm not sure if it's the air intake that i'm hearing once i hit 5000+ or if it's the vtec kicking in itself/

Right now i have a 3 inch cone K&N air filter. Compared to the reactive air filter that i replaced it with, it changed up the sound of the car entirely.

It went' from a loud annoying tin can, to a smooth crisp sound.
Donovan is offline  
Old 03-Jun-2007, 10:42 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 520
Originally posted by Donovan
I'm not sure if this is a dumb question or not, but i have a 92 civic si hatch. As for hearing the vtec, what exactly does it sound like? I'm not sure if it's the air intake that i'm hearing once i hit 5000+ or if it's the vtec kicking in itself/

Right now i have a 3 inch cone K&N air filter. Compared to the reactive air filter that i replaced it with, it changed up the sound of the car entirely.

It went' from a loud annoying tin can, to a smooth crisp sound.

vtec makes your engine sound more aggressive, so you would hear a bit of a grunt i guess
imported_bananax is offline  
Old 03-Jun-2007, 11:41 AM
  #15  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the hammer
Posts: 7,038
honestly, the only way i can tell if vtec is working or not on SOHC's is when it doesn't work, when it works it accelerates after 5500 (vtec) like it did before 5500 (vtec), if it doesn't work, it tends to not pull as nice or smooth after 5500 (vtec). But i couldn't ever really "hear" vtec on my d16z6 even with my intake/exhaust.
If you aren't hearing vtec on your DOHC either its set way to low, or its not working, b/c i can hear vtec on EVERY SIR/GSR/ITR i've ever been in, even if it was bone stock.
zeeman is offline  
Old 03-Jun-2007, 12:28 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 15
OOOoh. Well in that case, there is a DEFINATE pull after i break 5000 rpm. I noticed it even more after i put on some aftermarket stainless steal header.
Donovan is offline  
Old 04-Jun-2007, 03:43 PM
  #17  
Registered User
 
imported_crazydragonclk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Markham
Posts: 868
isnt the vtec feeling souind etc jus like when it pulls harder and its making that struggling sound grrrr kinda when u floor it at a certain speed or rpm?
imported_crazydragonclk is offline  
Old 05-Jun-2007, 07:20 AM
  #18  
Registered User
 
imported_Turbo-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my house
Posts: 511
Originally posted by zeeman
honestly, the only way i can tell if vtec is working or not on SOHC's is when it doesn't work, when it works it accelerates after 5500 (vtec) like it did before 5500 (vtec), if it doesn't work, it tends to not pull as nice or smooth after 5500 (vtec). But i couldn't ever really "hear" vtec on my d16z6 even with my intake/exhaust.
If you aren't hearing vtec on your DOHC either its set way to low, or its not working, b/c i can hear vtec on EVERY SIR/GSR/ITR i've ever been in, even if it was bone stock.

Ditto, for me i've heard it in more or less every vtec honda i've been in, sohc, dohc. I can even hear the crossover in my Honda Odyssey with all its silencers and filters. If you know what to listen for its very easy to hear it, if you don't know what to listen for then your going to have trouble identifing it. Right now I don't feel or hear the VTEC in my sohc because all I can hear is the turbo spooling!! If your every in the brampton area i'd be more then happy to listen to your car and tell you what i hear. goodluck!
imported_Turbo-D is offline  
Old 05-Jun-2007, 07:22 AM
  #19  
Registered User
 
imported_Turbo-D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: In my house
Posts: 511
Sorry man i just re-read your post, your talking about vtech, not vtec. so you must be having trouble with your cordless phone in your car. In that case i can't really help you out. Goodluck anyways.
imported_Turbo-D is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
VtecFTW
Honda Civics (+ other) for sale
0
11-Jul-2010 02:16 PM
jaydeeemek
Custom Honda Civic Exterior - Lighting
3
09-Feb-2005 05:51 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Civic 1999 si ....


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.