Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion Engine tech, forced induction, springs, shocks, brakes, tires, etc.

b18c?

Old 26-Jul-2006, 02:43 PM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 28
b18c?

hey u guys i got a gsr in my eg hatch.. and honeslty i know a bit bout cars but not alot i already have bolt ons... what do i do next i got 2500. to spend on other parts? like what should i work on now? the head? the bottom? what do i buy.. get me back with some great idea's it would help
PeTtAhV is offline  
Old 26-Jul-2006, 03:24 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: North of Toronto
Posts: 371
well you have to decide what you want to build it for....turbo or N\A, if your gonna boost it, then build then head and go nuts, otherwise, get a new intake manfold throddle and a good exaust system get a VFAC controller and get it tuned for a good N|A setup
imported_Christof is offline  
Old 26-Jul-2006, 03:29 PM
  #3  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the hammer
Posts: 7,038
forget the vafc....just get a custom chip made for your setup (i can help with this).
$2500 i would pull the head off, get a valve job and mill it a bit to raise the compression a bunch. Then get some cams (buddy club, skunk2, rocket, crower, crane, and JUN are all good cams to use) and get some dual valve springs and titanium retainers and some adjustable cam gears.
Then get it tuned and enjoy built engine.
zeeman is offline  
Old 26-Jul-2006, 04:34 PM
  #4  
Registered User
 
imported_360_vortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,061
Originally posted by Christof
well you have to decide what you want to build it for....turbo or N\A, if your gonna boost it, then build then head and go nuts, otherwise, get a new intake manfold throddle and a good exaust system get a VFAC controller and get it tuned for a good N|A setup

if going boost...you build the head?....wtf...


when you are gonna boost, build the BLOCK!!!
imported_360_vortex is offline  
Old 26-Jul-2006, 06:16 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
imported_mikepasini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: mississauga
Posts: 1,607
i think he mixed a couple things up there!
imported_mikepasini is offline  
Old 26-Jul-2006, 06:19 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,176
Originally posted by Christof
well you have to decide what you want to build it for....turbo or N\A, if your gonna boost it, then build then head and go nuts, otherwise, get a new intake manfold throddle and a good exaust system get a VFAC controller and get it tuned for a good N|A setup
worst advice ever

decide if you want to boost or go N/A.

Either way.. you will want some good tuning. I would go with zeeman.. dude knows his crap and is half the price the pro's charge.

$2500 is a lot.. but if you want to boost.. you can forget about touching your internals.
chris_si98 is offline  
Old 26-Jul-2006, 06:52 PM
  #7  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the hammer
Posts: 7,038
with $2500 you could put together a turbo setup. But there are other things outside the initial cost of the turbo parts that you will have to invest some money into. Such as your clutch/flywheel, you will need a clutch that can handle the added power, if you're in there replacing the clutch you might as well add a lighter flywheel or at a bare minimum resurface/balance your stock flywheel. Tires, you need good, sticky tires again to handle the added power, otherwise you'll be going through a new set every 4 months, trust me, i've seen it plenty of times. Brakes, they better be up to par, or you could get into trouble. Cooling system, it would be a good idea to make sure your water pump, thermostat, rad, rad hoses and rad fan are all in good working condition, if you have to replace your rad i'd make it an upgraded unit, lots of people see increased ECTs (engine coolant temperature) with the addition of a turbo, hard wiring your rad fan to come on all the time is a good idea as well, a nice thin rad fan will yeild a little more room in an area where space is usually at a premium. Fuel delivery, larger (440cc or bigger) injectors are a MUST when adding a turbo, usually a higher volume fuel pump (like a walbro 255lph) is required when getting into higher whp levels. Tuning, do not skimp on tuning, having a well tuned engine will increase reliability, safety, power and driveability of your car. Although tuning might not be cheap, its necessary, and relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things and when spending $2500+ whats another few hundred bucks.
Just a few things to think about to help you decide which route you wanna travel (n/a rules!!!).
You still have to keep these things in mind when deciding to build your engine naturally aspirated. Like a clutch/flywheel is very important to any n/a build, especially a light flywheel (to help with aceleration), or your fuel system, usually stock 240cc injectors are enough unless you're planning on over 200whp+. Your brakes are important as well, but some good pads/rotors are usually enough b/c you're not adding another 100+whp. And tuning is equally as important for n/a as it is for boost. A good header is also very important when building a powerful n/a setup.
zeeman is offline  
Old 27-Jul-2006, 10:54 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 537
take a breath, brah. lol. the judge has spoken.
Mugen Power is offline  
Old 27-Jul-2006, 11:02 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
imported_360_vortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,061
Originally posted by zeeman
with $2500 you could put together a turbo setup. But there are other things outside the initial cost of the turbo parts that you will have to invest some money into. Such as your clutch/flywheel, you will need a clutch that can handle the added power, if you're in there replacing the clutch you might as well add a lighter flywheel or at a bare minimum resurface/balance your stock flywheel. Tires, you need good, sticky tires again to handle the added power, otherwise you'll be going through a new set every 4 months, trust me, i've seen it plenty of times. Brakes, they better be up to par, or you could get into trouble. Cooling system, it would be a good idea to make sure your water pump, thermostat, rad, rad hoses and rad fan are all in good working condition, if you have to replace your rad i'd make it an upgraded unit, lots of people see increased ECTs (engine coolant temperature) with the addition of a turbo, hard wiring your rad fan to come on all the time is a good idea as well, a nice thin rad fan will yeild a little more room in an area where space is usually at a premium. Fuel delivery, larger (440cc or bigger) injectors are a MUST when adding a turbo, usually a higher volume fuel pump (like a walbro 255lph) is required when getting into higher whp levels. Tuning, do not skimp on tuning, having a well tuned engine will increase reliability, safety, power and driveability of your car. Although tuning might not be cheap, its necessary, and relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things and when spending $2500+ whats another few hundred bucks.
Just a few things to think about to help you decide which route you wanna travel (n/a rules!!!).
You still have to keep these things in mind when deciding to build your engine naturally aspirated. Like a clutch/flywheel is very important to any n/a build, especially a light flywheel (to help with aceleration), or your fuel system, usually stock 240cc injectors are enough unless you're planning on over 200whp+. Your brakes are important as well, but some good pads/rotors are usually enough b/c you're not adding another 100+whp. And tuning is equally as important for n/a as it is for boost. A good header is also very important when building a powerful n/a setup.

is this sticky material?
imported_360_vortex is offline  
Old 27-Jul-2006, 11:05 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Posts: 18,370
What are you building the car for? Just street driving? If you just want the occasional power from red light to red light, just do some head work, cam, valve springs and tuning (as zeeman suggested).

If you want autox or track, forget about power and upgrade brakes, cooling, chassis stiffening and transmission.
Nova_Dust is offline  
Old 27-Jul-2006, 11:08 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,176
Originally posted by 95civic_hb



is this sticky material?
it's just gibberish.

zeepos just acts like he knows
chris_si98 is offline  
Old 27-Jul-2006, 11:14 PM
  #12  
-- site donator --
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: the hammer
Posts: 7,038
ur just jealous that you're stuff never gets stickied.

And that my car didn't blow up on the dyno....like yours did.
zeeman is offline  
Old 27-Jul-2006, 11:17 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,176
Originally posted by zeeman
ur just jealous that you're stuff never gets stickied.

And that my car didn't blow up on the dyno....like yours did.
wasnt my fault it blew. lol

come on msn fagtron..
chris_si98 is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2006, 09:06 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 770
i personally would go n/a because nothing is like an all motor car, for the price of an induction kit, you could build a block of a motor and raise the compression and put some cams in and your laughing. id recommend some vibrant 4-2-1 jspec headers worked great for me.
imported_plzbeleiveit is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2006, 09:57 AM
  #15  
Registered User
 
imported_mikepasini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: mississauga
Posts: 1,607
turboooooooooooooo
imported_mikepasini is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2006, 08:27 PM
  #16  
Registered User
 
Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,381
Originally posted by mikepasini
turboooooooooooooo
n/a bish mike you need a turbo to keep with me @ the track?


IMO I would build your motor theres nothing better than a well built NA motor : but still i have a love for the boost nonetheless.
Bryce is offline  
Old 28-Jul-2006, 08:43 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 6,176
Originally posted by plzbeleiveit
i personally would go n/a because nothing is like an all motor car, for the price of an induction kit, you could build a block of a motor and raise the compression and put some cams in and your laughing. id recommend some vibrant 4-2-1 jspec headers worked great for me.

ya you'd be laughing because the turboed car just smoked you.

In terms of bang for your buck you cant beat F/I.

But in terms of reliabilty.. n/a owns.
chris_si98 is offline  
Old 29-Jul-2006, 06:22 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Bryce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,381
for once i have to agree with chris
Bryce is offline  
Old 30-Jul-2006, 12:05 AM
  #19  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Kitchener
Posts: 28
thanks everyone for the terrific idea's but .. if im going na what do i start off with the bottom end or the head?
PeTtAhV is offline  
Old 30-Jul-2006, 12:15 AM
  #20  
Registered User
 
imported_360_vortex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 1,061
Originally posted by PeTtAhV
thanks everyone for the terrific idea's but .. if im going na what do i start off with the bottom end or the head?
n/a is mostly headwork
imported_360_vortex is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: b18c?


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.