Civic DIY Tutorials - Info The forum for "do-it-yourselfers". Place DIYs or links to ones that you think will be valuable in here.
Please, NO TECH QUESTIONS...DIY INSTRUCTIONS ONLY.

DIY: dash lightbulb change

Old 12-Oct-2007, 12:04 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tdot
Posts: 441
DIY: dash lightbulb change

***Originally posted by l2iceboy***
i'm sure many/most of you have come across this DIY about changing the dash light bulbs by painting them n such.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=661308
l2iceman is offline  
Old 16-Oct-2007, 06:12 PM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 23
I got a quetion though, i have had problems taking the actual lightbulb from the piece that holds it in (the brown plugs)
I tried twisting them pulling them but nothing is there a trick to it?
polish_tom is offline  
Old 16-Oct-2007, 07:45 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tdot
Posts: 441
hmmm...that's odd...it should just come right out...no twisting...I didnt have any problems with any of my cluster bulbs...
l2iceman is offline  
Old 23-Oct-2007, 01:32 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Crazydragonclk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Markham
Posts: 302
what bulbs are you replacing them with? i think they are in place with 2 wires and twsted in similar to a christmas tree lightbulb.
Crazydragonclk is offline  
Old 29-Oct-2007, 08:46 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
 
semi-gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by polish_tom View Post
I got a quetion though, i have had problems taking the actual lightbulb from the piece that holds it in (the brown plugs)
I tried twisting them pulling them but nothing is there a trick to it?
i had the same problem, you just have to keep pulling...i used pliers to hold the socket and a dish washing glove to pull the bulb out...

i actually broke 1 socket and my cluster is missing one, anyone know the part # of them? also, CT #74 bulbs don't fit into the socket, if you force the bulb in, the socket stetches and won't fit back into the cluster.....anyone have a solution? the #24's fit fine though
semi-gloss is offline  
Old 29-Oct-2007, 10:43 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
iTrader: (1)
 
suno_eg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Ukraine
Posts: 707
This is how I did mine (use #24 all around)...and its true you can't fit #74 don't fit.
suno_eg is offline  
Old 27-Nov-2007, 11:48 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Crazydragonclk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Markham
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by semi-gloss View Post
i had the same problem, you just have to keep pulling...i used pliers to hold the socket and a dish washing glove to pull the bulb out...

i actually broke 1 socket and my cluster is missing one, anyone know the part # of them? also, CT #74 bulbs don't fit into the socket, if you force the bulb in, the socket stetches and won't fit back into the cluster.....anyone have a solution? the #24's fit fine though
your probably not goin to find any extra ones as they dont sell them seperately, only place would be the junkyard. the easiest way is to just order them online from super bright leds, they come with the socket and the led bulb for like 1$ a bulb, ordering online may seem annoying but it is sometimes your best bet, like in this case
Crazydragonclk is offline  
Old 29-Nov-2007, 10:13 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 70
I lost/broke 2 brown plastic sockets. Couldn't find them anywhere, what I did was just solder/gluegun the light bulbs directly to cluster lol.
gamer123 is offline  
Old 09-Jan-2008, 07:44 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
spyda5588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 276
I found that # 74s fit well in all the sockets...my painted bulbs didnt turn out too well so i ordered the leds and put them in and they looks SEK! too bad my car got totalled that same day
spyda5588 is offline  
Old 11-Jan-2008, 02:41 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
 
bramirez07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by spyda5588 View Post
I found that # 74s fit well in all the sockets...my painted bulbs didnt turn out too well so i ordered the leds and put them in and they looks SEK! too bad my car got totalled that same day
I was just looking at the 74s and wondering how it would look. What color did you get?
bramirez07 is offline  
Old 11-Jan-2008, 04:35 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
spyda5588's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Brampton
Posts: 276
Originally Posted by bramirez07 View Post
I was just looking at the 74s and wondering how it would look. What color did you get?
I got blue it looked great... i got the high intensity ones tho...the ones that are replacements for #74s and are like 2 bucks each...i only got those ones cause u gotta buy atleast 25 bucks worth for them to ship it to canada.. i never even thought of buying two sets of the normal ones...but it looked great
spyda5588 is offline  
Old 11-Mar-2008, 11:43 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Crazydragonclk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Markham
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by spyda5588 View Post
I got blue it looked great... i got the high intensity ones tho...the ones that are replacements for #74s and are like 2 bucks each...i only got those ones cause u gotta buy atleast 25 bucks worth for them to ship it to canada.. i never even thought of buying two sets of the normal ones...but it looked great

ya i have those now. i ordered wit a bud n they r a lil brighter!!
Crazydragonclk is offline  
Old 10-Sep-2009, 07:03 AM
  #13  
Registered User
iTrader: (2)
 
Darrylmcl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 260
To anyone else that may stumble across this post that has trouble with removing the bulb from the holster. Wear KITCHEN GLOVES (ya, those bright yellow ones), works flawlessly. Hold the bulb with the glove and simply pull away. Should come right out.

Ps. this trick works with tight jar caps and anything else really that needs extra grip.
Darrylmcl is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
jackten47
Chit-Chat
4
05-Jul-2011 09:29 PM
l2iceman
Civic DIY Tutorials - Info
36
23-Jun-2007 10:41 AM
ELGUY
Honda Civic Performance - JDM Discussion
14
29-Sep-2006 03:46 PM
Xtahse
Honda Civic (+ other) Parts/Accessories for Sale or Trade
9
09-Feb-2006 08:00 AM
imported_Joker
Chit-Chat
18
29-Jul-2003 06:34 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY: dash lightbulb change


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.