Civic DIY Tutorials - Info The forum for "do-it-yourselfers". Place DIYs or links to ones that you think will be valuable in here.
Please, NO TECH QUESTIONS...DIY INSTRUCTIONS ONLY.

DIY for 96-00 CIVICS OEM FOGS

Old 03-Jan-2006, 12:51 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kwasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,330
diy for 98 jdm sir fog lights would be sweet

since your super bored maybe you can difm, do-it-for-me
kwasley is offline  
Old 03-Jan-2006, 02:42 PM
  #2  
Registered User
 
imported_Team Rukus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Moon
Posts: 8,921
which one do you want?
jdm optional raybrig round fog lights or the regular square fog lights?
imported_Team Rukus is offline  
Old 03-Jan-2006, 09:01 PM
  #3  
Registered User
 
imported_Team Rukus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Moon
Posts: 8,921
Here is the How To for 1996-1998 Honda Civic Square Fog Lights Install (jdm/usdm)....

This is a complete kit



Step 1. Removal Of front bumper

-Open Hood
-Take off black clips on the grille and bumper support in the middle
-Using phillips head screw driver take both side screws out from the side of the inner fender liner (wheel well)
-get under the car there are 2 10mm bolts holding the bottom of bumper bolt them off
- Take bumper off from one side to the other.

Step 2 Installing Fog Lights.
- Unlike the 99-00 fog lights where the bumper has to be cut the 96-98 to my understanding does not.
-using the mouting brackets provided just screw fog lights into both sides of the inner grille portion of the bumper (holes for the screws are already there)





your install should look like those pics. if it is then you are on the right track.
there are two methods for the wiring.
basically one would be the smartest obviously and that is using the oem harness that is already there. if you were to go that route you would not need to use the main harness that comes with the kit.

The other route would be to use the main harness it came with (in which case you would use the zip ties to tie up that harness and any excess wire to something near by from it being in the way and giving it a cleaner look)

Thanks
imported_Team Rukus is offline  
Old 12-Jan-2006, 12:33 AM
  #4  
Registered User
 
imported_Scar96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Brampton
Posts: 462
Jay can u get the pictures for the wiring??

i found only one plug which is under the windshield washer bottle...where are the other 2??
imported_Scar96 is offline  
Old 12-Jan-2006, 05:43 PM
  #5  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Peel Region
Posts: 683
Jay can u get the pictures for the wiring??
Si98 is offline  
Old 12-Jan-2006, 07:54 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North York
Posts: 1,148
imported_mugenpowered is offline  
Old 13-Jan-2006, 06:31 AM
  #7  
Registered User
 
imported_Team Rukus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Moon
Posts: 8,921
k sorry guys. just been lazy. i will get pics asap.
imported_Team Rukus is offline  
Old 19-Jan-2006, 12:20 AM
  #8  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Peel Region
Posts: 683
OEM instructions specifically for 96-98 fogs

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/instal/aii/pages/civic/1998/18767_01.html
Si98 is offline  
Old 20-Jan-2006, 03:55 PM
  #9  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: North York
Posts: 1,148
^That's a good link, but you don't have to follow the wiring from there do you? That is the wiring if you use the harness right?
imported_mugenpowered is offline  
Old 15-Feb-2006, 02:14 PM
  #10  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Peel Region
Posts: 683
after having a look at the wires that came with my aftermarket kit (the same one password jdm sells) i came to the conclusion that they weren't meant for the plug and play feature that our EKs came equipped with. people with the same kit, did you guys have to do any connector re-arranging and wire splicing?
Si98 is offline  
Old 15-Feb-2006, 05:57 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
armash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 367
FOGS

i got fogs too..wondering if its easier to connect it to headlight h4 harness as DRL's. what do u guys think?
armash is offline  
Old 17-Feb-2006, 03:53 AM
  #12  
Registered User
 
imported_Fug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: ...
Posts: 3,383
Originally posted by Team Rukus
Here is the How To for 1996-1998 Honda Civic Square Fog Lights Install (jdm/usdm)....

This is a complete kit



Step 1. Removal Of front bumper

-Open Hood
-Take off black clips on the grille and bumper support in the middle
-Using phillips head screw driver take both side screws out from the side of the inner fender liner (wheel well)
-get under the car there are 2 10mm bolts holding the bottom of bumper bolt them off
- Take bumper off from one side to the other.

Step 2 Installing Fog Lights.
- Unlike the 99-00 fog lights where the bumper has to be cut the 96-98 to my understanding does not.
-using the mouting brackets provided just screw fog lights into both sides of the inner grille portion of the bumper (holes for the screws are already there)





your install should look like those pics. if it is then you are on the right track.
there are two methods for the wiring.
basically one would be the smartest obviously and that is using the oem harness that is already there. if you were to go that route you would not need to use the main harness that comes with the kit.

The other route would be to use the main harness it came with (in which case you would use the zip ties to tie up that harness and any excess wire to something near by from it being in the way and giving it a cleaner look)

Thanks
hehehe, yay, thats my car.....but jayl how do i turn them on???...lol
imported_Fug is offline  
Old 17-Feb-2006, 09:58 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kwasley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,330


Originally posted by Fug


hehehe, yay, thats my car.....but jayl how do i turn them on???...lol

kwasley is offline  
Old 17-Feb-2006, 10:51 AM
  #14  
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Peel Region
Posts: 683
This is for those with can't stand the wiring that came with replica kits -- like me!

OEM harnesses for both the 96-00 switch and fog lights are still available from the dealer but you have to do some minor modifiying. You have to find yourself an OEM switch which are readily available through a JDM dealer (the black CTR version). There is one switch left in all of Canada and it can be found at Classic Honda in Brampton. Its light grey in color (the color for sedans) and they wanted $25 for it but that was around a month ago. 2nd of all, you need to swap the fog lamp connectors in the OEM harness with the connectors from the replica harness. The only part of the wiring system that fits with the OEM harness without modifying is the relay from the replica kit.

So there you go. If you're willing to spend a few more bucks on top of your kit you'll have a nice clean wiring system for your fogs.
Si98 is offline  
Old 23-Feb-2006, 02:39 PM
  #15  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 39
Has anyone done a pair of OEM foglights forma 99-00 civic onto a 96-98 civic? Generally the wiring i would assume would be the same but cutting the bumper to have the lights mounted on each side, is that a problem (hard)?

Thanks
EJ8EK is offline  
Old 24-Feb-2006, 12:41 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Photographer's Corner
Posts: 13,422
Are amber fog lights illegal??

Are amber fog lights (the one that came on the 99 EK SIRs) illegal in Canada and US??? I was thinking of getting a pair but not sure if the color amber is street legal.

Help??
szuberi is offline  
Old 24-Feb-2006, 11:49 AM
  #17  
Registered User
 
imported_hdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: (Toronto)
Posts: 3,744
Re: Are amber fog lights illegal??

Originally posted by szuberi
Are amber fog lights (the one that came on the 99 EK SIRs) illegal in Canada and US??? I was thinking of getting a pair but not sure if the color amber is street legal.

Help??
its perfectly legal, dont worry
imported_hdave is offline  
Old 24-Feb-2006, 12:04 PM
  #18  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 39
Re: Are amber fog lights illegal??

Originally posted by szuberi
Are amber fog lights (the one that came on the 99 EK SIRs) illegal in Canada and US??? I was thinking of getting a pair but not sure if the color amber is street legal.

Help??
This may be just crappy luck, but my buddy got pulled over and was told ot take them off right then and there or a fine would result.
EJ8EK is offline  
Old 06-Mar-2006, 08:12 PM
  #19  
Registered User
 
imported_Rayz_si's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 581
Are you guys sure there is no cutting required ?
imported_Rayz_si is offline  
Old 06-Mar-2006, 09:22 PM
  #20  
Registered User
 
czeto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 589
Originally posted by EJ8EK
Has anyone done a pair of OEM foglights forma 99-00 civic onto a 96-98 civic? Generally the wiring i would assume would be the same but cutting the bumper to have the lights mounted on each side, is that a problem (hard)?

Thanks
The 99-00 bumper has a template stamped into the back-looks like connect the dots-don't know abt the 98's
czeto is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY for 96-00 CIVICS OEM FOGS


Contact Us - Sitemap - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.